02 September 2011, 11:43
Patriarch Kirill consecrated the largest cathedral in Far East
Magadan, September 2, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia consecrated the biggest in the Far East Orthodox church - Trinity Cathedral in Magadan.
"Kolyma is the Russian Calvary and perhaps those who tormented people on this earth, pronounced terrible words during transporting convicts "step to the right, step to the left - shooting without warning," couldn't imagine that a grand cathedral will be erected here," the Patriarch said after the prayer.
He called the cathedral "a great sign showing that God's truth is alive and none even most powerful human forces can destroy this truth" and called it a symbol of victory over evil, "faith in Christ, as for confessing Him many people were exiled here to Kolyma to become martyrs."
Patriarch Kirill said that his father on the eve of his wedding was arrested only for chanting in amateur choir in one of St. Petersburg churches though he worked in secular job and was getting higher education.
The Primate reminded "how many human lives, means, resources were spent in vain" in atheistic years.
"And now we are terrified to see that we lack the most necessary things - good roads, high quality cars, durable houses. Where are those innumerable goods and resources? They vanished. Why? Because we built the life of our nation, our society and state without God and opposing God," he stressed.
According to him, today there appear people, including those coming to politics, who say that "we need to return to that past - life without God."
"We answer to all these people: come to Kolyma and you'll see what means to build life without God and, moreover, on bones of those who confessed their faith in God," the Patriarch said.
Kolyma is the land of Stalin's notorious prison camps.
The service lasted several hours, followed by the presentation of Russian Orthodox Church orders to regional officials and to the cathedral's architects.
Reports had said that the cathedral's construction started about ten years ago. Close to 900 million rubles have been spent on its construction since then. This money has been provided by the regional government and private donors.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54