02 September 2011, 12:29
Keys from Nice cathedral not likely to be transferred to Russian Church soon
Paris, September 2, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate delays the process of factual transfer of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice to the Russian Orthodox Church as this church has been handed over for indefinite rent-free tenure.
As was reported, the French court confirmed Russia's ownership rights for the cathedral on May 19. The Russian state decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate which has recently appointed the first two clerics with the instructions to obtain the keys and documents and to put an end to the collection of pay for visits to the cathedral.
The Korsun Diocese to which French parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate are subordinated said in its statement this week that the Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR) that judicially disputed Russia's claim to the cathedral "can in no way be equated with the parish of St. Nicholas' Cathedral and the Orthodox community of the region."
Meanwhile, head of Russian Parishes Exarchate in Western Europe (subordinate to Constantinople - IF) Archbishop Gabriel at his Wednesday meeting with Bishop Nestor of Korsun gave to understand that the Moscow Patriarchate will have to solve the questions of obtaining keys and abolishing entrance fee directly with ACOR.
"Archbishop Gabriel said he was incompetent in settling the questions. According to him, the Exarchate consists of self-governed associations and thus the decision should be taken at the level of Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR)," the Korsun Diocese says in its statement handed over to .
The meeting has not had any results in settling canonical questions as Archbishop Gabriel is expecting a letter from the Constantinople Patriarchate and until he receives it he does not believe it possible to take any actions.
Archbishop Gabriel also wished that the new meeting took place in extended composition among representatives of the Exarchate Council and the Korsun Diocese.
"The Korsun Diocese regrets that the meeting initially planned on August 23 was postponed for a week without any explanations, but did not bring any results and negations are delayed again," the statement says.
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55