02 September 2011, 12:29
Keys from Nice cathedral not likely to be transferred to Russian Church soon
Paris, September 2, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate delays the process of factual transfer of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice to the Russian Orthodox Church as this church has been handed over for indefinite rent-free tenure.
As was reported, the French court confirmed Russia's ownership rights for the cathedral on May 19. The Russian state decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate which has recently appointed the first two clerics with the instructions to obtain the keys and documents and to put an end to the collection of pay for visits to the cathedral.
The Korsun Diocese to which French parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate are subordinated said in its statement this week that the Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR) that judicially disputed Russia's claim to the cathedral "can in no way be equated with the parish of St. Nicholas' Cathedral and the Orthodox community of the region."
Meanwhile, head of Russian Parishes Exarchate in Western Europe (subordinate to Constantinople - IF) Archbishop Gabriel at his Wednesday meeting with Bishop Nestor of Korsun gave to understand that the Moscow Patriarchate will have to solve the questions of obtaining keys and abolishing entrance fee directly with ACOR.
"Archbishop Gabriel said he was incompetent in settling the questions. According to him, the Exarchate consists of self-governed associations and thus the decision should be taken at the level of Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR)," the Korsun Diocese says in its statement handed over to .
The meeting has not had any results in settling canonical questions as Archbishop Gabriel is expecting a letter from the Constantinople Patriarchate and until he receives it he does not believe it possible to take any actions.
Archbishop Gabriel also wished that the new meeting took place in extended composition among representatives of the Exarchate Council and the Korsun Diocese.
"The Korsun Diocese regrets that the meeting initially planned on August 23 was postponed for a week without any explanations, but did not bring any results and negations are delayed again," the statement says.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06