02 September 2011, 12:29
Keys from Nice cathedral not likely to be transferred to Russian Church soon
Paris, September 2, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate delays the process of factual transfer of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice to the Russian Orthodox Church as this church has been handed over for indefinite rent-free tenure.
As was reported, the French court confirmed Russia's ownership rights for the cathedral on May 19. The Russian state decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate which has recently appointed the first two clerics with the instructions to obtain the keys and documents and to put an end to the collection of pay for visits to the cathedral.
The Korsun Diocese to which French parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate are subordinated said in its statement this week that the Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR) that judicially disputed Russia's claim to the cathedral "can in no way be equated with the parish of St. Nicholas' Cathedral and the Orthodox community of the region."
Meanwhile, head of Russian Parishes Exarchate in Western Europe (subordinate to Constantinople - IF) Archbishop Gabriel at his Wednesday meeting with Bishop Nestor of Korsun gave to understand that the Moscow Patriarchate will have to solve the questions of obtaining keys and abolishing entrance fee directly with ACOR.
"Archbishop Gabriel said he was incompetent in settling the questions. According to him, the Exarchate consists of self-governed associations and thus the decision should be taken at the level of Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR)," the Korsun Diocese says in its statement handed over to .
The meeting has not had any results in settling canonical questions as Archbishop Gabriel is expecting a letter from the Constantinople Patriarchate and until he receives it he does not believe it possible to take any actions.
Archbishop Gabriel also wished that the new meeting took place in extended composition among representatives of the Exarchate Council and the Korsun Diocese.
"The Korsun Diocese regrets that the meeting initially planned on August 23 was postponed for a week without any explanations, but did not bring any results and negations are delayed again," the statement says.
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04