02 September 2011, 12:29
Keys from Nice cathedral not likely to be transferred to Russian Church soon
Paris, September 2, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate delays the process of factual transfer of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice to the Russian Orthodox Church as this church has been handed over for indefinite rent-free tenure.
As was reported, the French court confirmed Russia's ownership rights for the cathedral on May 19. The Russian state decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate which has recently appointed the first two clerics with the instructions to obtain the keys and documents and to put an end to the collection of pay for visits to the cathedral.
The Korsun Diocese to which French parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate are subordinated said in its statement this week that the Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR) that judicially disputed Russia's claim to the cathedral "can in no way be equated with the parish of St. Nicholas' Cathedral and the Orthodox community of the region."
Meanwhile, head of Russian Parishes Exarchate in Western Europe (subordinate to Constantinople - IF) Archbishop Gabriel at his Wednesday meeting with Bishop Nestor of Korsun gave to understand that the Moscow Patriarchate will have to solve the questions of obtaining keys and abolishing entrance fee directly with ACOR.
"Archbishop Gabriel said he was incompetent in settling the questions. According to him, the Exarchate consists of self-governed associations and thus the decision should be taken at the level of Nice Orthodox religious association (ACOR)," the Korsun Diocese says in its statement handed over to .
The meeting has not had any results in settling canonical questions as Archbishop Gabriel is expecting a letter from the Constantinople Patriarchate and until he receives it he does not believe it possible to take any actions.
Archbishop Gabriel also wished that the new meeting took place in extended composition among representatives of the Exarchate Council and the Korsun Diocese.
"The Korsun Diocese regrets that the meeting initially planned on August 23 was postponed for a week without any explanations, but did not bring any results and negations are delayed again," the statement says.
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia accuses mufti Gainutdin of spreading anti-Semite myths 25 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Muslims provide humanitarian assistance to Syria 25 June 2017, 16:01
- Putin in congratulation on Eid al-Fitr speaks of Muslims' role in maintaining civil peace, accord 25 June 2017, 15:56
- Thousands of Muslims mark Eid al-Fitr in Moscow Cathedral Mosque 25 June 2017, 15:52
- Almost million worshippers bowed to holy remains of St. Nicholas in Moscow 23 June 2017, 11:50
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02