26 September 2011, 10:19
Moldovan Orthodox believers protest registration of Islamic League
Chisinau, September 26, Interfax - A demonstration against the Moldovan Justice Ministry's decision to register the Islamic League of Moldova was held in Chisinau on Friday.
Over 5,000 people picketed the Justice Ministry's building and the UN office in the center of Chisinau.
The protesters were holding Orthodox icons and banners saying, 'It is better to die standing than live on the knees', 'Stop Lawlessness', 'Our Law is Orthodoxy', 'We are people, not an electorate', 'Down with strange gods', and others.
The people demanded that the Justice Ministry cancel the Islamic League's registration and the parliament refuse to pass a bill on nondiscrimination.
The passage of the latter bill is among the European Union's preconditions of Moldova's European integration, and Orthodox believers are concerned that, after the bill takes effect, same-sex marriages could be legalized in the country.
"If the authorities fail to hear the believers' voice, other measures will be taken," Ghenadie Valuta, the head of the Orthodox non-governmental organization Pro Ortodoxia, told journalists.
The protesters are prepared for radical measures, Valuta said. "We will block various Chisinau streets to traffic, wake up the people and organize a great national assembly in defense of the Orthodoxy," he said.
"The Moldovan Metropolitanate should call a national convention of the church in order to discuss the situation and preserve Orthodoxy," he said.
"The authorities should change the law on cults in the interests of the people, 93% of whom are Orthodox Christians. International organizations should also take this into account and not make hasty conclusions," Valuta said.
The Orthodox believers are also preparing an address to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, who plans to pay a patriarchic visit to Moldova in early October.
Interfax reported earlier that the Justice Ministry registered the Islamic League of Moldova on March 14, 2011.
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01