03 October 2011, 12:14
Patriarch Kirill gets acquainted with Ukrainian boy who lacks both arms but swam 50 meter distance
Chernovtsy, October 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia visited an orphanage of the Ascension Bancheny Monastery in the village of Molnitsa of the Ukrainian Cherovtsy Region, where 256 children live including those who suffer from AIDS.
The children greeted the Primate in national Ukrainian and Moldavian costumes with flowers and special loafs. He kissed and embraced the girl who welcomed him.
The orphans guided the Patriarch around the monastery taking him by the hands.
"It feels so nice walking with you. No one has ever welcomed me like this. It's the first time I'm guided by the hand. You're so hospitable," the Patriarch said as he was deeply touched.
He visited the building where a swimming pool is located. The children were swimming a race and disabled boy Stepan who lacks both arms swam 50 meters. Then he came up to the Patriarch.
"I'm glad to meet you, you are so good in swimming. May God grant you strength, courage, patience to live a worthy life and with God you will always live worthily. You've already become a great sportsman," the Primate said.
Stepan confessed: "We are saved through your prayers, we're nothing without you, with you we're coming closer to God, you're a very good person for us, a helper."
The children gave the Primate an icon of the Holy Virgin, which they embroidered with beads, and he gave a chocolate bar to each of them.
Father Superior of the monastery and head of the orphanage Archimandrite Longin (Zhar) adopted first children in early 1990. Since then he has taken to his orphanage seriously ill children and those rejected by their parents and looks after them. The priest was honored with the title of Hero of Ukraine in 2008.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00