19 October 2011, 10:04
Community of the Constantinople Patriarchate doesn't intend to hand over Nice cathedral to the Russian Church
***Though it agrees to abolish entrance fee
Paris, October 19, Interfax - The Patriarchal Exarchate for Orthodox Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe (the Constantinople Patriarchate) continues to consider itself a legal owner of St.Nicholas Cathedral in Nice.
"The religious association (of the parish - IF) has appealed against the decision of the Court of Appeal of Aix-en-Provence which attributed ownership of the land on which the cathedral is built to the Russian Federation," the Exarchate says in its statement posted on its website summing up the results of its recent session.
The document notes that the religious association "which is the legal civil representative of the parish of Saint Nicolas believes that the decision of the Court of Appeal does not deprive it of its right to lawful occupancy of the cathedral and of their right to continue to worship in accordance with Russian Orthodox tradition as it has done for 80 years".
"The religious association does not intend to abandon the cathedral, but it nevertheless has had to stop demanding entrance fees for visitors, which has obliged them to lay off reception and maintenance staff of the cathedral, in the absence of resources to pay them. Consequently the cathedral is closed for visits outside of services," the statement says.
The Exarchate also blamed the new rector of the cathedral appointed by the Corsun Diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate in "sowing confusion in the life of the parish and is maintaining a state of tension by thinly veiled threats made against the rector, Father Jean Gueit and through misleading or exaggerated public statements."
"The interference by a bishop of the Moscow Patriarchate in the life of the parish of Nice, the action of the clergy sent there, as well as the constantly repeated commitment to take over the cathedral in compliance with instructions from powers outside the Church all go against the canonical norms of the Orthodox Church. That is also unacceptable," the statements reads.
According to earlier reports, a French court on May 19 confirmed Russia's right of property to the cathedral. The Russian Orthodox association of Nice (ACOR), which had conducted litigation with Russia, lost the suit. The Russian state, in turn, decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate.
ACOR reports to the Exarchate of Russian Parishes in Western Europe, which is part of the Constantinople Patriarchate. There are two parallel church organizations in Western Europe: the Constantinople Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate, which is represented by the Corsun Diocese.
Despite the court ruling, Archbishop Gabriel, the head of the Exarchate of Russian Parishes, made it clear in a meeting with Bishop Nestor of Corsun in late August that issues relating to the transfer of the keys to the Nice cathedral should be resolved by the Moscow Patriarchate directly with ACOR, i.e., Archbishop Gabriel in effect disassociated himself from the issue.
Thus the meeting did not bring any results. The next extended meeting between representatives of the Constantinople Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate is being arranged.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42