19 October 2011, 10:04
Community of the Constantinople Patriarchate doesn't intend to hand over Nice cathedral to the Russian Church
***Though it agrees to abolish entrance fee
Paris, October 19, Interfax - The Patriarchal Exarchate for Orthodox Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe (the Constantinople Patriarchate) continues to consider itself a legal owner of St.Nicholas Cathedral in Nice.
"The religious association (of the parish - IF) has appealed against the decision of the Court of Appeal of Aix-en-Provence which attributed ownership of the land on which the cathedral is built to the Russian Federation," the Exarchate says in its statement posted on its website summing up the results of its recent session.
The document notes that the religious association "which is the legal civil representative of the parish of Saint Nicolas believes that the decision of the Court of Appeal does not deprive it of its right to lawful occupancy of the cathedral and of their right to continue to worship in accordance with Russian Orthodox tradition as it has done for 80 years".
"The religious association does not intend to abandon the cathedral, but it nevertheless has had to stop demanding entrance fees for visitors, which has obliged them to lay off reception and maintenance staff of the cathedral, in the absence of resources to pay them. Consequently the cathedral is closed for visits outside of services," the statement says.
The Exarchate also blamed the new rector of the cathedral appointed by the Corsun Diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate in "sowing confusion in the life of the parish and is maintaining a state of tension by thinly veiled threats made against the rector, Father Jean Gueit and through misleading or exaggerated public statements."
"The interference by a bishop of the Moscow Patriarchate in the life of the parish of Nice, the action of the clergy sent there, as well as the constantly repeated commitment to take over the cathedral in compliance with instructions from powers outside the Church all go against the canonical norms of the Orthodox Church. That is also unacceptable," the statements reads.
According to earlier reports, a French court on May 19 confirmed Russia's right of property to the cathedral. The Russian Orthodox association of Nice (ACOR), which had conducted litigation with Russia, lost the suit. The Russian state, in turn, decided to hand the church over to the Moscow Patriarchate.
ACOR reports to the Exarchate of Russian Parishes in Western Europe, which is part of the Constantinople Patriarchate. There are two parallel church organizations in Western Europe: the Constantinople Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate, which is represented by the Corsun Diocese.
Despite the court ruling, Archbishop Gabriel, the head of the Exarchate of Russian Parishes, made it clear in a meeting with Bishop Nestor of Corsun in late August that issues relating to the transfer of the keys to the Nice cathedral should be resolved by the Moscow Patriarchate directly with ACOR, i.e., Archbishop Gabriel in effect disassociated himself from the issue.
Thus the meeting did not bring any results. The next extended meeting between representatives of the Constantinople Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate is being arranged.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54