26 October 2011, 10:46
Political scientist predicts blossom of radical Islam and civil war in Libya
Moscow, October 26, Interfax - It is naive to think that moderate Islam will be set up in Libya, president of the Middle East Institute Yevgeny Satanovsky believes.
"An Islamic emirate has already been proclaimed in the city of Derna on the seashore - Sufi mosques are destroyed there together with tombs of local saints and sheiks. Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb runs riots in provinces. It's the first signs of Libya-style Sharia, and it's only the beginning," the political scientist said as quoted by the Kommersant daily.
On the eve head of the National Transitional Council of Libya Mustafa Abdel Jalil said that from now on the country would live according to the Sharia law.
Satanovsky supposes that Libyans will be guided by Saudi Arabia and Qatar that stand behind Muammar Gaddafi's deposition.
He predicts that real civil war will unleash in Libya.
"It's not the matter of Gaddafi's allies resistance. Questions of slaughter between tribes and blood feud, probable split of the country, its afghanization or somalization are more important. Libya is inhabited by almost two hundred Arab tribes, about hundred berber people and tuaregs live in its inner districts," the expert reminded.
He believes "the massacre will be terrific."
"Warlords will play the leading roles. The most influential among them are people from Al-Qaeda like Abdul Hakim Belhadj as Tripoli is given to him. Distribution of the oil pie can last for several decades," Satanovsky said.
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- Court bans gay pride parades, other unofficial events in Kiev on May 25 23 May 2013, 17:37
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06