26 October 2011, 10:46
Political scientist predicts blossom of radical Islam and civil war in Libya
Moscow, October 26, Interfax - It is naive to think that moderate Islam will be set up in Libya, president of the Middle East Institute Yevgeny Satanovsky believes.
"An Islamic emirate has already been proclaimed in the city of Derna on the seashore - Sufi mosques are destroyed there together with tombs of local saints and sheiks. Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb runs riots in provinces. It's the first signs of Libya-style Sharia, and it's only the beginning," the political scientist said as quoted by the Kommersant daily.
On the eve head of the National Transitional Council of Libya Mustafa Abdel Jalil said that from now on the country would live according to the Sharia law.
Satanovsky supposes that Libyans will be guided by Saudi Arabia and Qatar that stand behind Muammar Gaddafi's deposition.
He predicts that real civil war will unleash in Libya.
"It's not the matter of Gaddafi's allies resistance. Questions of slaughter between tribes and blood feud, probable split of the country, its afghanization or somalization are more important. Libya is inhabited by almost two hundred Arab tribes, about hundred berber people and tuaregs live in its inner districts," the expert reminded.
He believes "the massacre will be terrific."
"Warlords will play the leading roles. The most influential among them are people from Al-Qaeda like Abdul Hakim Belhadj as Tripoli is given to him. Distribution of the oil pie can last for several decades," Satanovsky said.
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch of Bulgaria 05 March 2019, 12:33
- Russian Council of Muftis head forecasts dramatic increase in number of Muslims in Russia 04 March 2019, 17:18