01 November 2011, 10:19
Metropolitan Hilarion accuses West of leaving Egypt Christians in the lurch
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations has accused the West of failing to stand up for Egyptian Christians during recent violence against them and has slammed Western governments for putting economic interests before human life.
"Despite the unprecedented escalation of violence against Christians in Egypt early in October, not a single Western country has put any pressure on the provisional military authorities of that country or threatened economic sanctions," a statement from the Synodal Department for External Church Relations quoted Metropolitan Hilarion as saying during a ceremony at the university of Lugano, Switzerland, in which he had the degree of doctor honoris causa conferred on him.
Footage showing armored personnel carriers "crushing a peaceful Coptic demonstration and shooting at unarmed people remain outside the attention of politicians" though they shocked the entire world, he said. The Copts are a Christian ethnic group in Egypt.
"Neither has an appropriate assessment been made of the speech of the Egyptian minister of security, who denied that weapons had been used against demonstrating Copts, or of reports about falsifying the death toll and the character of injuries. It is the right of the churches to ask the governments of their countries how long this would go on. Why are economic interests more valuable for those countries than the lives of completely innocent people who get killed just because they believe in Christ?" he said.
He called for Christians to come together "to defend their brothers and sisters who are suffering in various regions."
"If this doesn't happen, we will look even less convincing in the eyes of this world. On the other hand, by defending our fellow believers, we will strengthen our positions, will become more unified, and hence closer to one another," he said.
Attacking the secularization of the West, he said Christians face "an imperative and seemingly unfeasible task to lead modern so-called post-Christian civilization out of its crisis."
"Christian Churches, primarily the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, and also the ancient Eastern Churches, should come together today and join forces. We have the imperative need to create a community of Churches following the apostolic tradition where we would together discuss problems and challenges of the modern world," the metropolitan said.
He also suggested setting up "joint informal information structures that would provide objective, fresh and verified information on events that are of determining significance for the future of the Church and the world."
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37