01 November 2011, 14:39
Patriarch Kirill hopes visit to Japan will strengthen bilateral ties (updated)
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has reaffirmed his readiness to visit Japan in 2012.
"I plan to visit Japan next year if everything goes right and God gives me health," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said at a meeting with Japanese Ambassador to Russia Tikahito Harada in Moscow on Tuesday.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the arrival Nicholas Kasatkin in Hakodate. He subsequently became Archbishop Nicholas and "created the Japanese Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill said.
The 100th anniversary of Archbishop Nicholas's death will be marked in 2012.
Patriarch Kirill said that, like Father Nicholas, he wants to start his visit to Japan in Hakodate, then travel to Sendai, which was "hardest hit by destruction, the earthquake and floods," and then visit Tokyo.
Some 35,000 Japanese belong to the Japanese Orthodox Church today, the patriarch said, adding that they pray in the Japanese language.
"We will continue maintaining close ties with the Japanese Orthodox Church because it is a very important factor in promoting good relations between our people," he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church plans to raise and addition $1 million more to augment the $1.5 million collected previously to be used for funding the reconstruction of Orthodox churches in Japan, Patriarch Kirill said.
"Our representatives in Japan have calculated that around $1 million more will be needed. I hope that we will raise this money to enable our brothers and sisters in Japan to conduct all of the necessary renovations and reconstruct these buildings completely," he said.
Russians have been indifferent to the recent natural disaster in Japan, where one Orthodox church was destroyed and several others were seriously damaged, he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church has raised $1.5 million to fund their reconstruction, he added.
Patriarch Kirill also congratulated the Japanese ambassador on his recent 60th birthday.
The Patriarch cited Confucius, who said that he had learned to distinguish good from evil and truth from lies by the age of 60.
"It is a very important quality for any person, but it is special for a diplomat. I think that the success of a diplomat's work largely depends on his ability to distinguish truth from lies in order to be able to analyze events in the country where he represents the interests of his state soberly and objectively. May God prompt you to serve in Moscow in line with these principles - for the benefit of our countries and people," he said.
Patriarch Kirill said he hoped his upcoming visit to Japan would help "our two nations understand each other better, learn to distinguish truth from lies in our relations and build these relations for their own benefit and the benefit of the two states."
The Japanese diplomat, on his part, expressed his gratitude to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russians for extending both financial and psychological support to Japan.
Today the Russian Orthodox Church has "great influence" both in Russia and abroad, the ambassador said, adding that he hoped to maintain close ties with Patriarch Kirill and the Moscow Patriarchate.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14