01 November 2011, 14:39
Patriarch Kirill hopes visit to Japan will strengthen bilateral ties (updated)
Moscow, November 1, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has reaffirmed his readiness to visit Japan in 2012.
"I plan to visit Japan next year if everything goes right and God gives me health," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said at a meeting with Japanese Ambassador to Russia Tikahito Harada in Moscow on Tuesday.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the arrival Nicholas Kasatkin in Hakodate. He subsequently became Archbishop Nicholas and "created the Japanese Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill said.
The 100th anniversary of Archbishop Nicholas's death will be marked in 2012.
Patriarch Kirill said that, like Father Nicholas, he wants to start his visit to Japan in Hakodate, then travel to Sendai, which was "hardest hit by destruction, the earthquake and floods," and then visit Tokyo.
Some 35,000 Japanese belong to the Japanese Orthodox Church today, the patriarch said, adding that they pray in the Japanese language.
"We will continue maintaining close ties with the Japanese Orthodox Church because it is a very important factor in promoting good relations between our people," he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church plans to raise and addition $1 million more to augment the $1.5 million collected previously to be used for funding the reconstruction of Orthodox churches in Japan, Patriarch Kirill said.
"Our representatives in Japan have calculated that around $1 million more will be needed. I hope that we will raise this money to enable our brothers and sisters in Japan to conduct all of the necessary renovations and reconstruct these buildings completely," he said.
Russians have been indifferent to the recent natural disaster in Japan, where one Orthodox church was destroyed and several others were seriously damaged, he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church has raised $1.5 million to fund their reconstruction, he added.
Patriarch Kirill also congratulated the Japanese ambassador on his recent 60th birthday.
The Patriarch cited Confucius, who said that he had learned to distinguish good from evil and truth from lies by the age of 60.
"It is a very important quality for any person, but it is special for a diplomat. I think that the success of a diplomat's work largely depends on his ability to distinguish truth from lies in order to be able to analyze events in the country where he represents the interests of his state soberly and objectively. May God prompt you to serve in Moscow in line with these principles - for the benefit of our countries and people," he said.
Patriarch Kirill said he hoped his upcoming visit to Japan would help "our two nations understand each other better, learn to distinguish truth from lies in our relations and build these relations for their own benefit and the benefit of the two states."
The Japanese diplomat, on his part, expressed his gratitude to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russians for extending both financial and psychological support to Japan.
Today the Russian Orthodox Church has "great influence" both in Russia and abroad, the ambassador said, adding that he hoped to maintain close ties with Patriarch Kirill and the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03