01 November 2011, 14:52
Soldiers of the Caliphate group claims responsibility for Atyrau blasts
Alma-Ata, November 1, Interfax - The Long War Journal web site posted the translation of a statement issued by The Jund al Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate terrorist group, which has claimed responsibility for the explosions in Atyrau, Kazakhstan.
Two explosions hit Atyrau on Monday. First, an unidentified explosive device went off in a garbage bin on Kulmanov Street, and then an unknown man blew himself up near house number 30 in the Saryark District minutes after the first blast.
"We deny that the latest attack was staged as a suicide bombing. It seems to us that the bomb exploded accidentally, resulting in the torturous death of the person carrying it," the statement says.
The group said that no civilians were killed in the explosions, as they were intended to serve as a warning.
"We note that these two explosions were just a warning to the government. And we consciously sought to avoid casualties or injuries for fear of hurting a large number of people," the statement says.
The Long War Journal is a project of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, previously known as Bill Roggio's blog, where materials linked to the war against terrorism are posted.
The website was created by non-profit media organization Public Multimedia Incorporated in 2007.
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies is funded by private donations, sponsor contributions and grants.