01 November 2011, 14:52
Soldiers of the Caliphate group claims responsibility for Atyrau blasts
Alma-Ata, November 1, Interfax - The Long War Journal web site posted the translation of a statement issued by The Jund al Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate terrorist group, which has claimed responsibility for the explosions in Atyrau, Kazakhstan.
Two explosions hit Atyrau on Monday. First, an unidentified explosive device went off in a garbage bin on Kulmanov Street, and then an unknown man blew himself up near house number 30 in the Saryark District minutes after the first blast.
"We deny that the latest attack was staged as a suicide bombing. It seems to us that the bomb exploded accidentally, resulting in the torturous death of the person carrying it," the statement says.
The group said that no civilians were killed in the explosions, as they were intended to serve as a warning.
"We note that these two explosions were just a warning to the government. And we consciously sought to avoid casualties or injuries for fear of hurting a large number of people," the statement says.
The Long War Journal is a project of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, previously known as Bill Roggio's blog, where materials linked to the war against terrorism are posted.
The website was created by non-profit media organization Public Multimedia Incorporated in 2007.
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies is funded by private donations, sponsor contributions and grants.
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03
- Georgia's ancient capital Mtskheta becomes holy city 07 April 2014, 10:04
- Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma 04 April 2014, 15:54
- Moscow City Court mitigates sentence for Pussy Riot members 04 April 2014, 13:06
- Media review: "The Pan-Orthodox Council, Ukraine Crisis and Christian Unity. An interview with Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev of Volokolamsk, the chairman of the Russian Orthodox Department of External Church Relations" 04 April 2014, 12:19
- Extremist from Tajikistan sentenced to 17 years for bomb plot in Stavropol 04 April 2014, 10:13