03 November 2011, 16:27
Altai Jehovah's Witnesses leader sentenced to community sevice
Gorno-Altaisk, November 3, Interfax - The Gorno-Altaisk City Court in the Republic of Altai has found Jehovah's Witnesses local organization head Alexander Kalistratov guilty of public incitement to hate, the republic prosecutor's office said on Thursday.
"Kalistratov and his fellow believers distributed Jehovah's Witnesses books and magazines, seeding religious and social discord and inciting hatred for Christianity, Christian believers and clerics from October 2008 through December 31, 2009," the prosecutors said.
The books and magazines, which were pronounced extremist by the court, were printed in the United States and Germany.
The court sentenced Kalistratov to 100 hours of community service.
Initially, the Gorno-Altaisk City Court acquitted Kalistratov due to the absence of formal elements of a crime. The Supreme Court of the Altai Republic repealed the sentence and the case was reopened in April 2011.
- Islamic countries should be key members of broad anti-ISIL coalition - Lavrov (updated) 13 October 2015, 16:33
- Patriarch Kirill is not satisfied with actions made by the Constantinople Patriarchate officials in Ukraine 13 October 2015, 15:48
- Sobyanin believes there is enough mosques in Moscow 13 October 2015, 13:49
- Science without religion can lead to world catastrophe, the Moscow Nuclear University rector believes 13 October 2015, 13:26
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Homosexuality deprives Elton John of creative energy, his former fan Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 12 October 2015, 14:11
- Theology in Russia is listed among scientific specialities 12 October 2015, 11:56
- Four Islamists escape from penitentiary in Kyrgyzstan 12 October 2015, 11:19
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05