11 November 2011, 16:27
Russian Church stands for the state right to restrict activities of some religious communities and support others
Moscow, November 11, Interfax - States have right to interfere in religious sphere for the sake of national security, support positive and restrict negative tendencies in religious sphere, the Moscow Patriarchate official believes.
"Today only the blind doesn't see that there are religious communities worthy of support and there are phenomena which are as dangerous as Nazism and Fascism, banned in many countries. And we should adequately respond to this reality," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said at a seminar in Moscow.
According to him, the state cannot remain neutral in the sphere of world outlook, religious and public spheres, but today such neutrality is considered "an unshakable norm of international law" though in fact "many researchers and public figures, including Western ones, realize that this idea is incompatible with life."
"Today we need to think if the principle of equality of religious associations before law is adequate to modern realities as this principle is unknown to legislations of majority of western countries, but appeared in post-Soviet legal systems in the period of ultraliberal euphoria of early 90s," the priest said.
"From one hand, it is evident that these measures are taken to secure society from invasion of religious extremism from abroad and various destructive forces that grow inside these or those countries. I fully support this tendency. I believe that state and society have right to secure themselves from destructive outside expansion," the priest said.
Father Vsevolod urged to back up those religious communities that "aim at peace, mutual dialogue and constructive public endeavor."
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03