14 November 2011, 13:31
Patriarch Kirill links religious extremism to poor knowledge of religion
Damascus, November 14, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Syrian Grand Mufti Ahmad Badreddin have reached an agreement to meet in Damascus on Sunday to discuss the fight against extremism by religious education and strengthening morals.
"Syria is a country where Orthodox people and Muslims live in peace and where the level of tolerance in society is high," where religious conflicts are non-existent and the state respects the rights of religious minorities, Patriarch Kirill said.
"I am now alarmed by what is going on in the Middle East and Northern Africa. We are very concerned about the persecution of Christians in the countries where such radical changes have occurred. In light of these events, I would like to reiterate the peaceful and calm co-existence of religions in Syria. It is, no doubt, an achievement of your country, your society, an achievement of both Muslims and Orthodox Christians," the Patriarch stressed.
He said he was confident that the development of relations between the Muslims of Syria and Russia and the dialogue between Muslims and Orthodox Christians in both countries "can and should be an important factor of religions harmony and peace."
"Of course, we are all concerned about extremism, which is now linked to religion [...] One of the causes of it is the lack of religious education among young people. People do not know their faith very well, they have no intellectual grounds in the perception of religion, and therefore they are easily led by various calls that are not based on the foundations of faith," Patriarch Kirill said.
The Russian Orthodox Church has spoken in favor of introducing religious lessons in schools because "there is a need to give an authentic knowledge about Orthodox traditions to the Orthodox and knowledge about Muslim traditions to Muslims to avoid any extremist interpretation of religions," the Patriarch said.
"The second issue faced by Orthodox believers and Muslims is the moral situation of modern people. This issue includes the issue of youth, the issue of marriages, and the issue of personal and family ethics. Orthodox Christians and Muslims have a lot in common here, in defending a lifestyle that enables people to strengthen their morals," Patriarch Kirill said, adding that this issue is one of the main issues of Orthodox-Muslim dialogue.
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about Donbass blockade, attempts to take over churches in other regions of Ukraine 03 December 2014, 18:12
- Yeshivah student badly beaten in Moscow Region 03 December 2014, 14:45
- Russian parish in Strasbourg lacks money to continue building the church 03 December 2014, 10:04