01 December 2011, 10:01
Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda
St. Petersburg, December 1, Interfax - A bill imposing an administrative penalty for propaganda promoting homosexuality and pedophilia among minors has been evaluated by the Russian Constitutional Court, said St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov, who authored the bill.
"This bill underwent a verification procedure at the Constitutional Court, which gave a clear definition to the term 'homosexual propaganda," Milonov told a press conference in St. Petersburg.
The bill does not discriminate in any way against homosexuals, Milonov said.
For his part, St. Petersburg Speaker Vadim Tyulpanov said he was surprised by the negative U.S. reaction to the bill.
"The U.S. Department of State has nothing else to do but mind our bill," he told a press conference that focused on the results of the fourth term of the legislature.
Thanks to the debate surrounding this document, the St. Petersburg parliament has become famous across the world, he said.
"While the bill was debated, I started receiving e-mails from city residents supporting the bill. Over 90% of St. Petersburg citizens support the bill," Tyulpanov said.
On November 16, the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly approved on first reading a bill imposing administrative liability for homosexual and pedophile propaganda among minors. In presenting the bill, author Vitaly Milonov said the bill must be passed to protect children from destructive information.
Under the bill, homosexual propaganda will entail a fine of 1,000-3,000 rubles for individuals, 3,000-5,000 rubles for officials and 10,000-50,000 rubles for companies.
President of the Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko voiced support for the bill.
For her part, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington is concerned by the proposal to pass this bill as it seriously restricts the freedom of self-expression and the freedom of assembly for sexual minorities. The U.S. administration believes that the rights of homosexuals are an integral part of human rights.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Nuland's statement is inappropriate and represents an act of interference in Russia's legislative process. "We are perplexed by the American side's attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia, especially publicly. We view the attempt as inappropriate and inconsistent with the practice of interstate relations," Dolgov said, answering a question from Interfax.
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02