01 December 2011, 10:01
Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda
St. Petersburg, December 1, Interfax - A bill imposing an administrative penalty for propaganda promoting homosexuality and pedophilia among minors has been evaluated by the Russian Constitutional Court, said St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov, who authored the bill.
"This bill underwent a verification procedure at the Constitutional Court, which gave a clear definition to the term 'homosexual propaganda," Milonov told a press conference in St. Petersburg.
The bill does not discriminate in any way against homosexuals, Milonov said.
For his part, St. Petersburg Speaker Vadim Tyulpanov said he was surprised by the negative U.S. reaction to the bill.
"The U.S. Department of State has nothing else to do but mind our bill," he told a press conference that focused on the results of the fourth term of the legislature.
Thanks to the debate surrounding this document, the St. Petersburg parliament has become famous across the world, he said.
"While the bill was debated, I started receiving e-mails from city residents supporting the bill. Over 90% of St. Petersburg citizens support the bill," Tyulpanov said.
On November 16, the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly approved on first reading a bill imposing administrative liability for homosexual and pedophile propaganda among minors. In presenting the bill, author Vitaly Milonov said the bill must be passed to protect children from destructive information.
Under the bill, homosexual propaganda will entail a fine of 1,000-3,000 rubles for individuals, 3,000-5,000 rubles for officials and 10,000-50,000 rubles for companies.
President of the Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko voiced support for the bill.
For her part, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington is concerned by the proposal to pass this bill as it seriously restricts the freedom of self-expression and the freedom of assembly for sexual minorities. The U.S. administration believes that the rights of homosexuals are an integral part of human rights.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Nuland's statement is inappropriate and represents an act of interference in Russia's legislative process. "We are perplexed by the American side's attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia, especially publicly. We view the attempt as inappropriate and inconsistent with the practice of interstate relations," Dolgov said, answering a question from Interfax.
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16