01 December 2011, 10:01
Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda
St. Petersburg, December 1, Interfax - A bill imposing an administrative penalty for propaganda promoting homosexuality and pedophilia among minors has been evaluated by the Russian Constitutional Court, said St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov, who authored the bill.
"This bill underwent a verification procedure at the Constitutional Court, which gave a clear definition to the term 'homosexual propaganda," Milonov told a press conference in St. Petersburg.
The bill does not discriminate in any way against homosexuals, Milonov said.
For his part, St. Petersburg Speaker Vadim Tyulpanov said he was surprised by the negative U.S. reaction to the bill.
"The U.S. Department of State has nothing else to do but mind our bill," he told a press conference that focused on the results of the fourth term of the legislature.
Thanks to the debate surrounding this document, the St. Petersburg parliament has become famous across the world, he said.
"While the bill was debated, I started receiving e-mails from city residents supporting the bill. Over 90% of St. Petersburg citizens support the bill," Tyulpanov said.
On November 16, the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly approved on first reading a bill imposing administrative liability for homosexual and pedophile propaganda among minors. In presenting the bill, author Vitaly Milonov said the bill must be passed to protect children from destructive information.
Under the bill, homosexual propaganda will entail a fine of 1,000-3,000 rubles for individuals, 3,000-5,000 rubles for officials and 10,000-50,000 rubles for companies.
President of the Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko voiced support for the bill.
For her part, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington is concerned by the proposal to pass this bill as it seriously restricts the freedom of self-expression and the freedom of assembly for sexual minorities. The U.S. administration believes that the rights of homosexuals are an integral part of human rights.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Nuland's statement is inappropriate and represents an act of interference in Russia's legislative process. "We are perplexed by the American side's attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia, especially publicly. We view the attempt as inappropriate and inconsistent with the practice of interstate relations," Dolgov said, answering a question from Interfax.
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48
- Putin wishes Russian Jews happiness, well-being 28 December 2016, 18:47
- Investigators toughen charge against imam of Yardyam Mosque suspected of justifying terrorism 28 December 2016, 12:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls victims of Tu-154 crash symbols of national life and pride 27 December 2016, 13:23
- Worship cross to commemorate polar explorers will be set up in Arctic 27 December 2016, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill offers his Christmas greetings to the Pope of Rome 26 December 2016, 17:56
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of victims dead in Tu-154 crash 26 December 2016, 10:35
- The battle against Judaist yoke's author fined 100,000 rubles for extremist calls 23 December 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls against understating achievements of Soviet administration, troubles that hit country 22 December 2016, 18:46
- Moscow security officers detain members of Tablighi Jamaat extremist cell led by foreign emissaries 22 December 2016, 18:41
- Moscow court sentences former Moscow State University student Ivanova (Karaulova) to 4.5 years in prison 22 December 2016, 18:38
- FJCR sees Uman incident as result of glorifying radical nationalists in Ukraine 22 December 2016, 15:59