01 December 2011, 10:01
Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda
St. Petersburg, December 1, Interfax - A bill imposing an administrative penalty for propaganda promoting homosexuality and pedophilia among minors has been evaluated by the Russian Constitutional Court, said St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov, who authored the bill.
"This bill underwent a verification procedure at the Constitutional Court, which gave a clear definition to the term 'homosexual propaganda," Milonov told a press conference in St. Petersburg.
The bill does not discriminate in any way against homosexuals, Milonov said.
For his part, St. Petersburg Speaker Vadim Tyulpanov said he was surprised by the negative U.S. reaction to the bill.
"The U.S. Department of State has nothing else to do but mind our bill," he told a press conference that focused on the results of the fourth term of the legislature.
Thanks to the debate surrounding this document, the St. Petersburg parliament has become famous across the world, he said.
"While the bill was debated, I started receiving e-mails from city residents supporting the bill. Over 90% of St. Petersburg citizens support the bill," Tyulpanov said.
On November 16, the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly approved on first reading a bill imposing administrative liability for homosexual and pedophile propaganda among minors. In presenting the bill, author Vitaly Milonov said the bill must be passed to protect children from destructive information.
Under the bill, homosexual propaganda will entail a fine of 1,000-3,000 rubles for individuals, 3,000-5,000 rubles for officials and 10,000-50,000 rubles for companies.
President of the Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko voiced support for the bill.
For her part, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington is concerned by the proposal to pass this bill as it seriously restricts the freedom of self-expression and the freedom of assembly for sexual minorities. The U.S. administration believes that the rights of homosexuals are an integral part of human rights.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Nuland's statement is inappropriate and represents an act of interference in Russia's legislative process. "We are perplexed by the American side's attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia, especially publicly. We view the attempt as inappropriate and inconsistent with the practice of interstate relations," Dolgov said, answering a question from Interfax.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14