01 December 2011, 10:01
Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda
St. Petersburg, December 1, Interfax - A bill imposing an administrative penalty for propaganda promoting homosexuality and pedophilia among minors has been evaluated by the Russian Constitutional Court, said St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly member Vitaly Milonov, who authored the bill.
"This bill underwent a verification procedure at the Constitutional Court, which gave a clear definition to the term 'homosexual propaganda," Milonov told a press conference in St. Petersburg.
The bill does not discriminate in any way against homosexuals, Milonov said.
For his part, St. Petersburg Speaker Vadim Tyulpanov said he was surprised by the negative U.S. reaction to the bill.
"The U.S. Department of State has nothing else to do but mind our bill," he told a press conference that focused on the results of the fourth term of the legislature.
Thanks to the debate surrounding this document, the St. Petersburg parliament has become famous across the world, he said.
"While the bill was debated, I started receiving e-mails from city residents supporting the bill. Over 90% of St. Petersburg citizens support the bill," Tyulpanov said.
On November 16, the St. Petersburg Legislative Assembly approved on first reading a bill imposing administrative liability for homosexual and pedophile propaganda among minors. In presenting the bill, author Vitaly Milonov said the bill must be passed to protect children from destructive information.
Under the bill, homosexual propaganda will entail a fine of 1,000-3,000 rubles for individuals, 3,000-5,000 rubles for officials and 10,000-50,000 rubles for companies.
President of the Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko voiced support for the bill.
For her part, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Washington is concerned by the proposal to pass this bill as it seriously restricts the freedom of self-expression and the freedom of assembly for sexual minorities. The U.S. administration believes that the rights of homosexuals are an integral part of human rights.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Nuland's statement is inappropriate and represents an act of interference in Russia's legislative process. "We are perplexed by the American side's attempts to interfere in the legislative process in Russia, especially publicly. We view the attempt as inappropriate and inconsistent with the practice of interstate relations," Dolgov said, answering a question from Interfax.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58