12 December 2011, 10:35
Church urges not to allow new revolution in Russia
***Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin hopes authorities will give "adequate and honest answers" on uncomfortable questions they were asked
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church urges not to allow civil confrontations in Russia as the part of society is not conformed with results of votes counting at the parliamentary elections.
"We can't but express satisfaction that rallies in Russian cities are generally peaceful, in frames of law. No matter how political positions vary, the most important thing today is to keep civil peace and statehood, not to allow new 1905, 1917, 1991 or 1993," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
The priest urges those who seek new revolutions to remember that "God won't forgive misfortunes they produce, won't forgive sufferings of their neighbors."
He accepted that there were many emotional and even insulting slogans at the recent rallies. "However, very serious questions, not comfortable to authorities, were also raised. Let's hope that authorities will answer them adequately and honestly," the priest said.
According to him, peaceful character of meetings creates conditions for national dialogue on format of electoral processes and means of public control over them.
"I'm sure such a dialogue is needed to preserve civil peace and people's confidence in authorities. All political parties, representatives of different social groups, religious communities, public associations, including liberal and conservative oppositionists could participate in the dialogue. There are many platforms for the dialogue - for example, the Public Chamber," the church representative believes.
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01