12 December 2011, 10:35
Church urges not to allow new revolution in Russia
***Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin hopes authorities will give "adequate and honest answers" on uncomfortable questions they were asked
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church urges not to allow civil confrontations in Russia as the part of society is not conformed with results of votes counting at the parliamentary elections.
"We can't but express satisfaction that rallies in Russian cities are generally peaceful, in frames of law. No matter how political positions vary, the most important thing today is to keep civil peace and statehood, not to allow new 1905, 1917, 1991 or 1993," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
The priest urges those who seek new revolutions to remember that "God won't forgive misfortunes they produce, won't forgive sufferings of their neighbors."
He accepted that there were many emotional and even insulting slogans at the recent rallies. "However, very serious questions, not comfortable to authorities, were also raised. Let's hope that authorities will answer them adequately and honestly," the priest said.
According to him, peaceful character of meetings creates conditions for national dialogue on format of electoral processes and means of public control over them.
"I'm sure such a dialogue is needed to preserve civil peace and people's confidence in authorities. All political parties, representatives of different social groups, religious communities, public associations, including liberal and conservative oppositionists could participate in the dialogue. There are many platforms for the dialogue - for example, the Public Chamber," the church representative believes.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02