12 December 2011, 17:49
Kazakh special services investigates possible connection between killed terrorists, Soldiers of the Caliphate
Astana, December 12, Interfax - The Kazakh National Security Committee is probing the information on the possible connection between the terrorists killed in the village of Boraldai, Almaty Region, and the radical group The Jund al Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate.
"We are working on determining who the Soldiers of the Caliphate are and whether they are linked to the events [in Boraldai]," Kazakh National Security Committee Deputy Chairman Gosman Amrin told Interfax in Astana.
"The Kazakh special services intends to take measures to curb the activities of the group if it turns out to be related to the events in Boraldai and other terrorist events," Amrin said.
At the end of the past week, the Internet portal The Long War Journal published a translation of a statement made by the terrorist group Soldiers of the Caliphate stating that the terrorists killed in the village of Boraldai were Soldiers of the Caliphate militants.
A group of five terrorists were killed in a special operation in the village of Boraldai on December 3. Two officials from the National Security Committee's special division Arystan were killed in that operation.
In the meantime, the investigators found that Soldiers of the Caliphate was involved in the explosions that took place in Atyrau on October 31 (where a bomb went off in a garbage container and a suicide bomber blew himself up in the city's Saryak District).
According to the Kazakh special services, the Soldiers of the Caliphate organization was created by citizens of Kazakhstan who are fighting abroad on the side of Afghani militants.
Soldiers of the Caliphate is recognized as a terrorist organization and is banned in Kazakhstan.
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58