12 December 2011, 17:49
Kazakh special services investigates possible connection between killed terrorists, Soldiers of the Caliphate
Astana, December 12, Interfax - The Kazakh National Security Committee is probing the information on the possible connection between the terrorists killed in the village of Boraldai, Almaty Region, and the radical group The Jund al Khilafah, or Soldiers of the Caliphate.
"We are working on determining who the Soldiers of the Caliphate are and whether they are linked to the events [in Boraldai]," Kazakh National Security Committee Deputy Chairman Gosman Amrin told Interfax in Astana.
"The Kazakh special services intends to take measures to curb the activities of the group if it turns out to be related to the events in Boraldai and other terrorist events," Amrin said.
At the end of the past week, the Internet portal The Long War Journal published a translation of a statement made by the terrorist group Soldiers of the Caliphate stating that the terrorists killed in the village of Boraldai were Soldiers of the Caliphate militants.
A group of five terrorists were killed in a special operation in the village of Boraldai on December 3. Two officials from the National Security Committee's special division Arystan were killed in that operation.
In the meantime, the investigators found that Soldiers of the Caliphate was involved in the explosions that took place in Atyrau on October 31 (where a bomb went off in a garbage container and a suicide bomber blew himself up in the city's Saryak District).
According to the Kazakh special services, the Soldiers of the Caliphate organization was created by citizens of Kazakhstan who are fighting abroad on the side of Afghani militants.
Soldiers of the Caliphate is recognized as a terrorist organization and is banned in Kazakhstan.
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03
- Georgia's ancient capital Mtskheta becomes holy city 07 April 2014, 10:04
- Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma 04 April 2014, 15:54
- Moscow City Court mitigates sentence for Pussy Riot members 04 April 2014, 13:06
- Media review: "The Pan-Orthodox Council, Ukraine Crisis and Christian Unity. An interview with Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev of Volokolamsk, the chairman of the Russian Orthodox Department of External Church Relations" 04 April 2014, 12:19
- Extremist from Tajikistan sentenced to 17 years for bomb plot in Stavropol 04 April 2014, 10:13