19 December 2011, 17:24
Keys to St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice handed over to the Russian Church
Paris, December 20, Interfax - Deputy head of the Russian Presidential Administration Sergey Bolkhovitin handed the keys of St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice to its new rector Archpriest Nikolay Ozolin. This ended the long and dramatic process of returning the church to the Moscow Patriarchate.
As was reported to an Interfax-Religion correspondent by bloggers of the Diocese of Korsun (which covers the Russian Church parishes in Western Europe), the parties signed an official protocol formalizing the transfer of St. Nicholas Cathedral to the Moscow Patriarchate at a solemn ceremony that took place on the eve.
A divine service celebrated by the former and current rectors of the church preceded this long-awaited event, both priests communed the believers.
As was reported, on 19 May a French court affirmed Russia’s right of ownership to the church in Nice, however the Council of the Exarchate of Russian Parishes in Western Europe (the Constantinople Patriarchate) continued to consider itself the legitimate owner of St. Nicholas Cathedral.
In late October, the highest court of Nice ordered the community of the Constantinople Patriarchate to hand over the keys to St. Nicholas Cathedral to the Russian government within seven days, but the situation took one and a half month.
During the liturgy, celebrated the day before, the clergy commemorated both the Constantinople Patriarch and the Patriarch of Moscow.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57