27 December 2011, 15:07
Guardian of Holy Virgin's Belt from Mt. Athos decides to go to jail
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Archimandrite Efrem, the rector of the Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos, has agreed to follow the court ruling on his arrest.
"Archimandrite Efrem under the pressure of Greek law enforcement bodies has decided to go to jail. He will be in custody as of this evening," Yevgeny Nikiforov, chairman of Radonezh Christian Orthodox society familiar with the situation, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
He said that as of Tuesday Christian Orthodox organizations of Moscow will start conducting protest actions outside of the Greek embassy.
At the end of last week a Greek court ruled on the arrest of Archimandrite Efrem whom the Greek police suspect of economic offenses. Last weekend the police arrived at the monastery to arrest him. But after doctors examined the superior monk it was decided to leave him at the monastery for reasons of health.
The Russian Orthodox Church finds the ruling on the archimandrite's arrest unjustifiably tough.
"This is an unprecedented event and naturally we feel concerned. Even if Father Efrem is guilty of something, the arrest of a superior monk is an excessive sanction," Secretary for Inter-Orthodox Affairs in the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax-Religion last Saturday.
In its turn the Fund of Andrey the First-Called believes that such court judgments can be accounted only "to the political leaning of certain circles of the Greek establishment who in this way want to demonstrate to the West their readiness to give up the principles of organizing spiritual life recorded in the Greek constitution".
"It arouses special indignation that the court's move was taken against one of the most respected persons on Mt. Athos, an elderly person suffering from numerous ailments," a statement of the fund says.
The Foundation urges the governing body of Athos, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, representatives of other local Orthodox Churches and ordinary believers to speak for Father Yefrem as he "is exposed to prosecutions, which exceed the formal reason for launching the case."
Earlier, the Foundation of St.Andrew the First-Called first time ever delivered the Belt of the Mother of God from the Vatopedi Monastery. After visiting St. Petersburg the shrine was taken to other Russian cities. The last point was Moscow. The belt returned to Athos on November 28.
3 mln of people venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin when the shrine stayed in Russia.
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05
- Chernovtsy and Bukovina Diocese searched, high treason case opened – media 25 November 2022, 18:00
- Russia's State Duma adopts package of bills banning LGBT propaganda 24 November 2022, 15:58
- Marketplaces to be banned from selling goods with LGBT propaganda in Russia 23 November 2022, 16:53
- Ukrainian law enforcement officers find pro-Russian literature when searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church establishments - media 23 November 2022, 13:41
- Bill on banning Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine registered in Verkhovnaya Rada 23 November 2022, 10:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says persecution of monks in Kiev Pechersk Laura Monastery must stop 22 November 2022, 14:21
- Searches at Kiev Lavra of the Caves are yet another link in 'chain of military actions' of Ukraine against Russian Orthodoxy – Peskov 22 November 2022, 13:53
- Ukrainian Security Service looking for saboteurs, weapons at Kiev Lavra of the Caves 22 November 2022, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill says the fate of the world depends on the future of Russia 21 November 2022, 11:58
- Putin sends birthday greetings to Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2022, 11:54
- Sex change propaganda to be penalized by fine of 50,000 to 1 mln rubles in Russia under amendments approved by Duma committee 21 November 2022, 11:52
- Russian bailiffs forcibly collecting 6-mln-ruble fines from TikTok for LGBT propaganda 17 November 2022, 11:10
- Russia's Patriarch Kirill says ready to speak on western TV 16 November 2022, 18:41
- Putin calls high spiritual and moral guidelines the basis of Russia's identity 15 November 2022, 16:58
- Verkhovnaya Rada deputy initiates transfer of Kiev Lavra of the Caves to Orthodox church of Ukraine 15 November 2022, 16:25
- State Duma may pass bill banning LGBT propaganda next week 14 November 2022, 20:30
- Putin signs decree on foundations of state policy for consolidating traditional Russian values 09 November 2022, 18:46
- Archpriest Mikhail Vasilyev who died in Special Military Operation zone awarded Hero of Russia title 08 November 2022, 22:40
- Patriarch Kirill says the current challenges threaten the very existence of Russia 07 November 2022, 13:27
- FJCR president says no growth of anti-Semitism in Russia 03 November 2022, 15:52