27 December 2011, 15:07
Guardian of Holy Virgin's Belt from Mt. Athos decides to go to jail
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Archimandrite Efrem, the rector of the Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos, has agreed to follow the court ruling on his arrest.
"Archimandrite Efrem under the pressure of Greek law enforcement bodies has decided to go to jail. He will be in custody as of this evening," Yevgeny Nikiforov, chairman of Radonezh Christian Orthodox society familiar with the situation, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
He said that as of Tuesday Christian Orthodox organizations of Moscow will start conducting protest actions outside of the Greek embassy.
At the end of last week a Greek court ruled on the arrest of Archimandrite Efrem whom the Greek police suspect of economic offenses. Last weekend the police arrived at the monastery to arrest him. But after doctors examined the superior monk it was decided to leave him at the monastery for reasons of health.
The Russian Orthodox Church finds the ruling on the archimandrite's arrest unjustifiably tough.
"This is an unprecedented event and naturally we feel concerned. Even if Father Efrem is guilty of something, the arrest of a superior monk is an excessive sanction," Secretary for Inter-Orthodox Affairs in the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax-Religion last Saturday.
In its turn the Fund of Andrey the First-Called believes that such court judgments can be accounted only "to the political leaning of certain circles of the Greek establishment who in this way want to demonstrate to the West their readiness to give up the principles of organizing spiritual life recorded in the Greek constitution".
"It arouses special indignation that the court's move was taken against one of the most respected persons on Mt. Athos, an elderly person suffering from numerous ailments," a statement of the fund says.
The Foundation urges the governing body of Athos, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, representatives of other local Orthodox Churches and ordinary believers to speak for Father Yefrem as he "is exposed to prosecutions, which exceed the formal reason for launching the case."
Earlier, the Foundation of St.Andrew the First-Called first time ever delivered the Belt of the Mother of God from the Vatopedi Monastery. After visiting St. Petersburg the shrine was taken to other Russian cities. The last point was Moscow. The belt returned to Athos on November 28.
3 mln of people venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin when the shrine stayed in Russia.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54