27 December 2011, 15:07
Guardian of Holy Virgin's Belt from Mt. Athos decides to go to jail
Moscow, December 27, Interfax - Archimandrite Efrem, the rector of the Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos, has agreed to follow the court ruling on his arrest.
"Archimandrite Efrem under the pressure of Greek law enforcement bodies has decided to go to jail. He will be in custody as of this evening," Yevgeny Nikiforov, chairman of Radonezh Christian Orthodox society familiar with the situation, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
He said that as of Tuesday Christian Orthodox organizations of Moscow will start conducting protest actions outside of the Greek embassy.
At the end of last week a Greek court ruled on the arrest of Archimandrite Efrem whom the Greek police suspect of economic offenses. Last weekend the police arrived at the monastery to arrest him. But after doctors examined the superior monk it was decided to leave him at the monastery for reasons of health.
The Russian Orthodox Church finds the ruling on the archimandrite's arrest unjustifiably tough.
"This is an unprecedented event and naturally we feel concerned. Even if Father Efrem is guilty of something, the arrest of a superior monk is an excessive sanction," Secretary for Inter-Orthodox Affairs in the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax-Religion last Saturday.
In its turn the Fund of Andrey the First-Called believes that such court judgments can be accounted only "to the political leaning of certain circles of the Greek establishment who in this way want to demonstrate to the West their readiness to give up the principles of organizing spiritual life recorded in the Greek constitution".
"It arouses special indignation that the court's move was taken against one of the most respected persons on Mt. Athos, an elderly person suffering from numerous ailments," a statement of the fund says.
The Foundation urges the governing body of Athos, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, representatives of other local Orthodox Churches and ordinary believers to speak for Father Yefrem as he "is exposed to prosecutions, which exceed the formal reason for launching the case."
Earlier, the Foundation of St.Andrew the First-Called first time ever delivered the Belt of the Mother of God from the Vatopedi Monastery. After visiting St. Petersburg the shrine was taken to other Russian cities. The last point was Moscow. The belt returned to Athos on November 28.
3 mln of people venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin when the shrine stayed in Russia.
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06