30 December 2011, 13:00
True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Head of the Foundation Society of the Vatopedi Monastery Friends, member of the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation Sergey Rudov voiced his version of Vatopedi Rector Archimandrite Yefrem's judicial persecutions.
"We believe there are two main reasons. The first one is the old line of the European Union as it demands that Greece makes it out with Athos and opens the borders, eliminate separate visa regimen and governing of the Kinot on the Holy Mount Athos. And the second reason, I think is the growing influence of Russians on Athos," NTV channel quoted Rudov as saying.
He believes the case against the priest is incredible "in its absurdity."
"In the early 20th century a lot of property in Greece belonged to the Church and monasteries. But in 1920-1923 when Greeks started moving from Turkey to their historical Motherland, monasteries gave much of their land to people. Even according to estimations made by unfriendly to Vatopedi people, the land it gave to the state now costs not less than eight million Euro," Rudov said in his interview with the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He has recently been to Greece and met with Father Yefrem. The foundation head said that he "is a very sick man."
"Staying in cold Russia was a serious trial for him. And when he visited Patriarch Ilia in Georgia, he wasn't far from dying. Father Yefrem needs constant medical attention. He was questioned for 30 hours in Greece. And they told him during questioning: you've been to Russia, you talked to Putin, Medvedev, but they won't help you," Rudov said.
Father Ephrem was accompanying the Belt of the Virgin Mary in Russia for more than one month in fall. Approximately three million believers worshiped the holy object from Athos in that period.
According to earlier reports, a Greek court has arrested Archimandrite Yefrem in connection with the large-scale investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state, which was initiated back in 2008.
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55
- Security tightened in area of Bishops Council meeting in Kiev Laura of the Caves 13 August 2014, 14:08
- Russian expert on Islam believes we'll soon forget about secular Turkey 13 August 2014, 12:26
- Hundreds of refugees from south-east Ukraine sheltered in monasteries, crisis centers, parishioners' and priests' houses 13 August 2014, 11:54
- Yatsenyuk addresses Council of Bishops electing metropolitan of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 August 2014, 11:21
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses authorities of Trotskyism 13 August 2014, 10:57