30 December 2011, 13:00
True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Head of the Foundation Society of the Vatopedi Monastery Friends, member of the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation Sergey Rudov voiced his version of Vatopedi Rector Archimandrite Yefrem's judicial persecutions.
"We believe there are two main reasons. The first one is the old line of the European Union as it demands that Greece makes it out with Athos and opens the borders, eliminate separate visa regimen and governing of the Kinot on the Holy Mount Athos. And the second reason, I think is the growing influence of Russians on Athos," NTV channel quoted Rudov as saying.
He believes the case against the priest is incredible "in its absurdity."
"In the early 20th century a lot of property in Greece belonged to the Church and monasteries. But in 1920-1923 when Greeks started moving from Turkey to their historical Motherland, monasteries gave much of their land to people. Even according to estimations made by unfriendly to Vatopedi people, the land it gave to the state now costs not less than eight million Euro," Rudov said in his interview with the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He has recently been to Greece and met with Father Yefrem. The foundation head said that he "is a very sick man."
"Staying in cold Russia was a serious trial for him. And when he visited Patriarch Ilia in Georgia, he wasn't far from dying. Father Yefrem needs constant medical attention. He was questioned for 30 hours in Greece. And they told him during questioning: you've been to Russia, you talked to Putin, Medvedev, but they won't help you," Rudov said.
Father Ephrem was accompanying the Belt of the Virgin Mary in Russia for more than one month in fall. Approximately three million believers worshiped the holy object from Athos in that period.
According to earlier reports, a Greek court has arrested Archimandrite Yefrem in connection with the large-scale investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state, which was initiated back in 2008.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01