30 December 2011, 13:00
True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Head of the Foundation Society of the Vatopedi Monastery Friends, member of the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation Sergey Rudov voiced his version of Vatopedi Rector Archimandrite Yefrem's judicial persecutions.
"We believe there are two main reasons. The first one is the old line of the European Union as it demands that Greece makes it out with Athos and opens the borders, eliminate separate visa regimen and governing of the Kinot on the Holy Mount Athos. And the second reason, I think is the growing influence of Russians on Athos," NTV channel quoted Rudov as saying.
He believes the case against the priest is incredible "in its absurdity."
"In the early 20th century a lot of property in Greece belonged to the Church and monasteries. But in 1920-1923 when Greeks started moving from Turkey to their historical Motherland, monasteries gave much of their land to people. Even according to estimations made by unfriendly to Vatopedi people, the land it gave to the state now costs not less than eight million Euro," Rudov said in his interview with the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He has recently been to Greece and met with Father Yefrem. The foundation head said that he "is a very sick man."
"Staying in cold Russia was a serious trial for him. And when he visited Patriarch Ilia in Georgia, he wasn't far from dying. Father Yefrem needs constant medical attention. He was questioned for 30 hours in Greece. And they told him during questioning: you've been to Russia, you talked to Putin, Medvedev, but they won't help you," Rudov said.
Father Ephrem was accompanying the Belt of the Virgin Mary in Russia for more than one month in fall. Approximately three million believers worshiped the holy object from Athos in that period.
According to earlier reports, a Greek court has arrested Archimandrite Yefrem in connection with the large-scale investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state, which was initiated back in 2008.
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Agenda of the Crete forum is miserable, it can't be called a Council - expert 17 June 2016, 10:01
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law 16 June 2016, 14:52
- Kremlin not commenting on prospects of Ukrainian Orthodox Church autocephaly 16 June 2016, 14:38
- Rada calls on Ecumenical patriarch to give autocephaly to Ukraine's Orthodox Church 16 June 2016, 14:30
- Serbian Church says will leave forum on Crete if position of those who refused to participate in it is ignored 15 June 2016, 16:58
- West has a course on restoring Nazism in Western Europe, Russian church official believes 15 June 2016, 16:10