30 December 2011, 13:00
True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Head of the Foundation Society of the Vatopedi Monastery Friends, member of the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation Sergey Rudov voiced his version of Vatopedi Rector Archimandrite Yefrem's judicial persecutions.
"We believe there are two main reasons. The first one is the old line of the European Union as it demands that Greece makes it out with Athos and opens the borders, eliminate separate visa regimen and governing of the Kinot on the Holy Mount Athos. And the second reason, I think is the growing influence of Russians on Athos," NTV channel quoted Rudov as saying.
He believes the case against the priest is incredible "in its absurdity."
"In the early 20th century a lot of property in Greece belonged to the Church and monasteries. But in 1920-1923 when Greeks started moving from Turkey to their historical Motherland, monasteries gave much of their land to people. Even according to estimations made by unfriendly to Vatopedi people, the land it gave to the state now costs not less than eight million Euro," Rudov said in his interview with the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily.
He has recently been to Greece and met with Father Yefrem. The foundation head said that he "is a very sick man."
"Staying in cold Russia was a serious trial for him. And when he visited Patriarch Ilia in Georgia, he wasn't far from dying. Father Yefrem needs constant medical attention. He was questioned for 30 hours in Greece. And they told him during questioning: you've been to Russia, you talked to Putin, Medvedev, but they won't help you," Rudov said.
Father Ephrem was accompanying the Belt of the Virgin Mary in Russia for more than one month in fall. Approximately three million believers worshiped the holy object from Athos in that period.
According to earlier reports, a Greek court has arrested Archimandrite Yefrem in connection with the large-scale investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state, which was initiated back in 2008.
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48