04 January 2012, 14:16
Religious fanatics in Tajikistan killed man dressed as Santa Claus
Dushanbe, January 4, Interfax - A young man dressed as Santa Claus has been killed in a religious attack in Dushanbe, a high-placed source in Tajikistan's Interior Ministry told Interfax.
The killing of Parviz Davlatbekov, 24, has been officially recognized, but religious motives have not been acknowledged.
"The young man wanted to congratulate his relatives and dressed up as Santa Claus. He was attacked by a crowd of about 30 young men when he approached his apartment building, and they stabbed him, shouting out: "Tu Kofiri!" (Infidel!) The man died in hospital of the sustained stab wounds," the source said.
Later the Tajik police have detained three suspected murderers - third-years students of Tajik National University Sharif Davlatov, Farrukh Samiyev and Firus Nazrulloyev.
Tajik social networks link the murder with the fact that several days before New Year head of the Council of Ulamas of Tajikistan Saidmukarram Abdukodirzoda told journalists that decorating the Christmas tree, dancing and playing around was alien to Tajik culture and contradicted the laws of Islam.
But New Year's holidays are observed officially in Tajikistan. New Year's trees are decorated on squares and New Year's parties are held at schools and child-care centers with Santa Claus participating. President Emomali Rahmon traditionally conveys New Year's greetings to the nation several hours before midnight.
Meanwhile, experts note growing religious influence in Tajikistan. Disputes flare up in the press each December, whether Tajiks should see the New Year in as Christians do.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26