12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00
- Tatarstan is responsible for ethnic relations to all Russia - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2016, 15:44
- Patriarch Kirill lays down foundation of cathedral on site where miracle-working icon was obtained in Kazan 21 July 2016, 15:08
- Cross procession led by Patriarch Kirill was going on in Kazan 21 July 2016, 14:18
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is against exhumation of Jews killed in Poland during the war 21 July 2016, 13:09
- Priests tried to stop clashes of demonstrators with police in Yerevan 21 July 2016, 12:12
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Tatarstan's Orthodox Christians, Muslims to live in good peace 20 July 2016, 18:29
- Constantinople calls it coincidence that Patriarch Bartholomew left Turkey a few hours before the attempted coup 20 July 2016, 11:38
- Berel Lazar criticizes attempts to consider the Temple Mount exceptionally Islamic shrine 20 July 2016, 11:06
- Church urges participants in Pokemon Go not to lose reason and not to turn to pokemons 19 July 2016, 15:24
- Turkey expects Georgia to shut down schools of preacher Gulen accused of masterminding attempted coup 19 July 2016, 10:04
- Russian cathedral in Nice helps relatives of the terror attack victims 18 July 2016, 15:41
- Russia shuts down ISIL marriage website 18 July 2016, 11:12
- Attempted coup in Turkey seeks to avoid dismissals of military officials linked with Gulen - deputy prime minister 18 July 2016, 10:23
- Erdogan's aspiration to Islamize Turkish state to blame for coup attempt in Turkey – Russıan polıtıcıans 18 July 2016, 10:13
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod rejects pan-Orthodox status of Crete Council 15 July 2016, 18:49
- Group of parishioners of Russian cathedral in Nice killed in attack - Orthodox journalist 15 July 2016, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over Nice terrorist attack 15 July 2016, 16:48
- Russian Muslims send condolences to families of Nice terrorist act victims 15 July 2016, 12:02
- Jewish community of Russia condemns Polish Defense minister of Russophobia 14 July 2016, 10:01
- Nationalists attempt to interfere with All-Ukraine sacred procession 13 July 2016, 16:28
- Lawyer for U.S. pastor files appeal against order to leave Russia issued by Samara court 12 July 2016, 17:22