12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- OIC foreign ministers denounce U.S. Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism 20 October 2016, 14:03
- Photos from Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Elizabeth II were not published as its format was private - the patriarch's press secretary 20 October 2016, 13:12
- Afghans themselves should take efforts in national reconciliation - OIC declaration 20 October 2016, 10:39
- OIC says Palestinian people have inalienable rights to Temple Mount, calls for swiftest stabilization of situation in Middle East 20 October 2016, 10:34
- Russian shortie about Holocaust included in Oscar long list 19 October 2016, 18:00
- Russian Security Council sees serious threat in Islamic radicals in Siberia 19 October 2016, 14:57
- Patriarch Kirill expresses his concerns to Archbishop of Canterbury about Anglicans' apostacy from Christian morals 19 October 2016, 11:54
- Patriarch Kirill urges all countries to unite in sacred war on terrorism 18 October 2016, 22:25
- Church of England, Roman Catholic Church, Russian Orthodox Church ready to act together to world's benefit - Patriarch Kirill 18 October 2016, 22:20
- Conversation with Queen Elizabeth II made very pleasant impression on Patriarch Kirill "intellectually and emotionally" 18 October 2016, 22:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Canterbury express readiness for joint peacekeeping work 18 October 2016, 21:46
- Patriarch Kirill sensed no hostility towards Russia in London 18 October 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pluralism in mass media 18 October 2016, 21:42
- Patriarch Kirill presents Elisabeth II with icon of the Mother of God 18 October 2016, 17:48
- OIC calls for political solution to Syrian crisis, says Damascus responsible for conflict - secretary general 18 October 2016, 10:48
- Parishioners of the Russian cathedral in London present a puppy to Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill urges Christians of England to develop together Russia-UK relations 17 October 2016, 12:57
- Christianity is urged to strengthen relations between Russia and Britain - Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society 17 October 2016, 10:07
- Wishes for long life were proclaimed to Elizabeth II at the patriarchal service in London 16 October 2016, 21:15
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates the Russian cathedral in London 16 October 2016, 20:05
- Uzbekistan to host meeting of OIC Council of Foreign Ministers on October 18-19 14 October 2016, 15:50
- Rabbi Lazar criticizes Russia for supporting UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem 14 October 2016, 12:34
- Saudi funding of Wahhabi ideology must stop in order to fight it - al-Assad 14 October 2016, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to learn patriotism from the Chinese 14 October 2016, 12:20
- First Russian monastery to open in South America 14 October 2016, 10:31
- Poroshenko asked to ban Eurovision opening at Kiev's St. Sophia cathedral 14 October 2016, 10:20
- Cancellation of Putin's visit to Paris will not affect time frameworks of opening of Russian Spiritual and Cultural Center 13 October 2016, 18:09
- Medinsky to head Russian delegation at opening of Russian Orthodox Spiritual and Cultural Center in Paris 13 October 2016, 17:56
- Group of Muslims from Hizb ut-Tahrir detained - Crimean Mufti Board 13 October 2016, 17:53