12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04