12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50
- Number of actions against Christians in Middle East increases fourfold in past 7 years - Russian Foreign Ministry representative 23 August 2016, 15:53
- Terrorists arrested in Georgia deny connections with Ukraine, Wahhabis among them – lawyer 23 August 2016, 14:49
- Orthodox exhibition fair to be held in Switzerland 23 August 2016, 13:14
- Russian Orthodox Church to help resist extremism in jails 23 August 2016, 10:50
- Delegation of Jewish rabbis allowed to enter Belarus from Russia - media 23 August 2016, 10:10
- 500 rabbis gather at summit in Moscow, rabbi Lazar says situation with anti-semitism in Europe critical 22 August 2016, 17:06
- Russia's former ambassador to Turkey compares Gulen to Soros and his structure to Mason 22 August 2016, 16:36
- Russian border guards deny delegates of congress of Jewish rabbis entry into Byelorussia 22 August 2016, 15:56
- Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era 22 August 2016, 15:35
- Patriarch watches culture minister and boxer Valuyev playing football with schoolchildren on the Solovetsky Islands 22 August 2016, 11:26
- Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister 22 August 2016, 10:00
- Putin appoints renowned religious expert Olga Vasilyeva a new Education and Science Minister 19 August 2016, 18:09
- Two people cured on Cyprus during the visit of the Crimean holy doctor's relics 19 August 2016, 16:20
- Attackers of road patrol post in Moscow Region active visitors of Islamist websites 19 August 2016, 14:06
- Pope says to seek visit to Belarus 19 August 2016, 10:00
- Arrest of Moscow mosque imam accused of justifying terrorism may be extended until Oct 27 18 August 2016, 15:35
- Kazakh-Turkish lyceums undergo checks for links to preacher Gulen, not to be closed - ministry 18 August 2016, 15:18
- Another 3 Hizb ut-Tahrir members get long prison terms in St. Petersburg 18 August 2016, 11:50
- Circumcision of women will not solve the problem, spiritual life should be intensified, official of Russia's Jewish community believes 18 August 2016, 10:41
- Mufti of the North Caucasus for circumcision of all Russian women 17 August 2016, 13:30
- Fifty Turkish professors suspected of links with Gulen ousted from Azerbaijani university 17 August 2016, 12:43
- European Rabbis to discuss problems of terrorism and anti-Semitism in Moscow 17 August 2016, 11:59
- Russian Olympic athletes are in wonderful mood - the team father confessor 17 August 2016, 10:03
- Archangel Michael becomes patron saint of Russian Investigative Committee 16 August 2016, 15:25
- Astrakhan resident suspected of recruiting fighters in mosque for ISIL 16 August 2016, 12:11
- Hotel rooms for Muslims to be opened in Russia 15 August 2016, 18:31