12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- A bomb was used to sabotage the Congress of Orthodox Women in Ukraine 27 September 2016, 15:02
- Bell ringing of the Russian cathedral is spread over the center of Paris 27 September 2016, 12:16
- Red paint poured onto the monument to Holy Prince Vladimir in Kiev 27 September 2016, 12:02
- Twenty churches destroyed in Aleppo during the war 26 September 2016, 15:28
- The Russian Church is concerned with new books containing "revolutionary biographies" of Christ 26 September 2016, 14:16
- The Russian Church official speaks about Vatican's unwillingness to discuss the problem of Greek-Catholics in Ukraine 26 September 2016, 13:17
- Rabbi Lazar urges to learn lessons from Babi Yar and stop terrorism 26 September 2016, 12:14
- Most threats to Islamic world exist inside Muslim community - Kazakh foreign minister 26 September 2016, 11:11
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00
- Azerbaijan counts on efficiency of OIC Contact Group for Karabakh 20 September 2016, 11:49
- Radical Islam present big problem for region – Israel 20 September 2016, 11:15
- Barbie is not likely to pass expertise in EurAsEC countries 19 September 2016, 18:43
- Old icons taken from Russia in wartime conveyed to the Berlin Diocese 19 September 2016, 10:23
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Russian journalists detained in Kosovo while filming footage about Orthodox churches 16 September 2016, 11:00
- Schismatic priest moves out Donbass refugees from a hospice not far from Kiev 15 September 2016, 18:01
- Putin and Medvedev for preserving archeological artifacts from Crimea where many ancient Greek temples were located 15 September 2016, 17:35
- Schismatics and nationalists seize a church in western Ukraine 15 September 2016, 10:58
- 70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert 14 September 2016, 16:32
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court permits public religious services without authorization 14 September 2016, 11:18