12 January 2012, 10:01
Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has declined to comment on a statement from the Patriarchate of Constantinople on Tuesday on the recent arrest in Greece of Archimandrite Ephrem, abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery in Greece's Mt. Athos monastic community, over real estate deals.
"I assume that [the statement] speaks for itself. All that the Russian Orthodox Church has considered necessary to say on this matter is said in the letter of the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Greek president and in the comments of Metropolitan Hilarion [head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations] that date back to December 28," an External Church Relations Department spokesman told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
In its statement, the Constantinople Patriarchate deplored the Ephrem affair but said it respected the independence of Greek justice and avoided interfering with unfinished court cases, one reason being it does not know all the details of any such case.
The Constantinople Patriarchate also pointed out that the fact that the community comprising its see includes monks of various nationalities does not vest it with authority over the entire world Orthodox community that would give it the right to interfere in the affairs of other churches.
Archimandrite Ephrem was arrested by court order last month as part of an investigation into real estate deals between the Vatopedi Monastery and the Greek state that was launched in 2008.
Late in December, Patriarch Kirill wrote a letter to Greek President Karolos Papoulias in which he asked for Ephrem to be released, expressing surprise at the detention of "a monk who poses no public danger and has repeatedly offered to cooperate with the investigators."
Metropolitan Hilarion branded Ephrem's arrest as an attack against the Mt. Athos community and against Orthodoxy as a whole.
Influential Russian politicians and the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed support for the archimandrite.
Among those who rose up in his defense was Russia's Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called, which brought the Belt of the Most Holy Mother of God to Russia this autumn in what was the first time the highly venerated Orthodox relic, which is kept at the Vatopedi Monastery, was taken outside Greece.
The cincture was shown in various Russian cities from October 20 to November 28 and was seen by nearly 3 million people, including top Russian state leaders.
- Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country 22 May 2018, 16:50
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau 21 May 2018, 11:50
- Two policemen, churchgoer killed in special operation to eliminate militants in Grozny 21 May 2018, 11:46
- Christianity is world's most persecuted religion - Patriarch Kirill 17 May 2018, 18:54
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes the world has entered the period of a new 'cold war,' presidents of Russia and the USA should sit at negotiating table 14 May 2018, 15:11
- Eco mosque functioning on solar batteries opened in Ukraine 11 May 2018, 17:33
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Jewish Day of Salvation and Liberation promotes understanding among people - Putin 10 May 2018, 13:22
- Russia seeks deeper ties with Islamic states - Putin 10 May 2018, 11:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- First time in the new history six Jewish couples got married simultaneously 04 May 2018, 18:40
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow 04 May 2018, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion does not share Patriarch Bartholomew's opinion about inevitable unification of Churches 03 May 2018, 11:17
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10