13 January 2012, 13:19
U.S. claims to Schneerson library provocative - Avdeyev
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - Russian Culture Minister Alexander Avdeyev has said that the Schneerson library, to which a U.S. religious organization has claimed title, is Russia's unalienable property.
"The library forms part of the Russian library reserve and is inalienable. The history of its claiming by U.S. plaintiffs appears to us provocative," Avdeyev told a press conference at the Interfax head office on Friday.
The request by U.S. plaintiffs "aims to spoil the bilateral relations between our countries and to undermine the political reset," the culture minister said.
The Schneerson Library is a collection of old Jewish books and manuscripts, put together by rabbis of the Chabad Jewish community in the late 18th century in Belarus. It is one of the Jewish religious relics.
Part of the collection amassed by Lubavitcher Rebbe Yosef Yitzchok Schneerson, was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and ended up at the Russian State Library. The other part was taken out of the Soviet Union by Schneerson, who emigrated in the 1930s.
About 25,000 pages of manuscripts got into the hands of the Nazis, and were later seized by the Red Army and handed over to the Russian State Military Archive.
Lubavitchers (adherents of one of the Hasidic movements - IF) have sought the restitution of the Schneerson collection since the late 1980s. According to some reports, at the time Russia's first president Boris Yeltsin promised to James Baker, Secretary of State in the George Bush Sr. administration, that the holy documents will be returned to the Hasids.
On August 6, 2010, a federal judge in Washington, Royce Lamberth, ruled that the Hasids proved the legitimacy of their claims to the ancient Jewish books and manuscripts, which, in his definition, are kept at the Russian State Library and the Russian Military Archive illegally.
The Russian Foreign Ministry challenged the judgment.
Meanwhile, U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle has assured Russian officials that the U.S. court ruling will not lead to a seizure of Russian cultural values, taken out to the United States for an exhibition.
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22