13 January 2012, 13:19
U.S. claims to Schneerson library provocative - Avdeyev
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - Russian Culture Minister Alexander Avdeyev has said that the Schneerson library, to which a U.S. religious organization has claimed title, is Russia's unalienable property.
"The library forms part of the Russian library reserve and is inalienable. The history of its claiming by U.S. plaintiffs appears to us provocative," Avdeyev told a press conference at the Interfax head office on Friday.
The request by U.S. plaintiffs "aims to spoil the bilateral relations between our countries and to undermine the political reset," the culture minister said.
The Schneerson Library is a collection of old Jewish books and manuscripts, put together by rabbis of the Chabad Jewish community in the late 18th century in Belarus. It is one of the Jewish religious relics.
Part of the collection amassed by Lubavitcher Rebbe Yosef Yitzchok Schneerson, was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and ended up at the Russian State Library. The other part was taken out of the Soviet Union by Schneerson, who emigrated in the 1930s.
About 25,000 pages of manuscripts got into the hands of the Nazis, and were later seized by the Red Army and handed over to the Russian State Military Archive.
Lubavitchers (adherents of one of the Hasidic movements - IF) have sought the restitution of the Schneerson collection since the late 1980s. According to some reports, at the time Russia's first president Boris Yeltsin promised to James Baker, Secretary of State in the George Bush Sr. administration, that the holy documents will be returned to the Hasids.
On August 6, 2010, a federal judge in Washington, Royce Lamberth, ruled that the Hasids proved the legitimacy of their claims to the ancient Jewish books and manuscripts, which, in his definition, are kept at the Russian State Library and the Russian Military Archive illegally.
The Russian Foreign Ministry challenged the judgment.
Meanwhile, U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle has assured Russian officials that the U.S. court ruling will not lead to a seizure of Russian cultural values, taken out to the United States for an exhibition.
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03