17 January 2012, 13:43
Russian Orthodox Church responds to Berezovsky's address to Patriarch
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has expressed skepticism about the address issued by businessman Boris Berezovsky to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"On one hand, it may seem pleasant that Boris Abramovich is suggesting that the Church should increase its role in the events taking place in Russia. However, on the other hand, the past activities of this man lead one to believe that you should listen to this man attentively and do exactly the opposite," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the synodal department for church and society liaison, told Interfax-Religion, commenting on Berezovsky's address to Patriarch Kirill, which was published on the Ekho Moskvy website on Monday.
Berezovsky, who currently lives in London, suggested that the patriarch should "assume the historical mission of saving Russia from disturbance," "ensure a bloodless change of power in Russia," communicate "people's voice" to Vladimir Putin, and then "take power from his hands and pass it to the people in a peaceful, wise, and Christian manner."
Chaplin reiterated that taking secular power is "the last thing the Church is supposed to do" and all historical episodes where the Orthodox, Catholic, or any other church "became a secular power or part of it indicate that such a situation is bad."
"I don't quite understand what people Boris Abramovich [Berezovsky] wants the power to be given to. Where are representatives of these people? Whom does Mr Berezovsky consider to be legitimate? I would be interested in hearing his response to learn the names of the true friends of the people, who truly express his opinion," Father Vsevolod said.
Father Vsevolod also said it is "interesting" that Berezovsky "is trying to present two 'prophesies' as having no alternative in his address: noisy protests will lead to shooting, when the flows of mutual accusations will lead to the killings of innocent people" and alleges that "society will not accept the election outcome, no matter how transparent and fair elections are."
"I would be interested to know what supreme or opposite force has revealed out future to Boris Abramovich. Berezovsky has enough things to do as it is. He has lived in the UK for many years and is sure to be familiar with the scientific, political, and public reality. Why not think about political reforms and predictions of public processes in that country? No doubt, the people of the UK may also benefit from the fountain of ideas of this non-standard and creative person," Father Vsevolod said.
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16