17 January 2012, 13:43
Russian Orthodox Church responds to Berezovsky's address to Patriarch
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has expressed skepticism about the address issued by businessman Boris Berezovsky to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"On one hand, it may seem pleasant that Boris Abramovich is suggesting that the Church should increase its role in the events taking place in Russia. However, on the other hand, the past activities of this man lead one to believe that you should listen to this man attentively and do exactly the opposite," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the synodal department for church and society liaison, told Interfax-Religion, commenting on Berezovsky's address to Patriarch Kirill, which was published on the Ekho Moskvy website on Monday.
Berezovsky, who currently lives in London, suggested that the patriarch should "assume the historical mission of saving Russia from disturbance," "ensure a bloodless change of power in Russia," communicate "people's voice" to Vladimir Putin, and then "take power from his hands and pass it to the people in a peaceful, wise, and Christian manner."
Chaplin reiterated that taking secular power is "the last thing the Church is supposed to do" and all historical episodes where the Orthodox, Catholic, or any other church "became a secular power or part of it indicate that such a situation is bad."
"I don't quite understand what people Boris Abramovich [Berezovsky] wants the power to be given to. Where are representatives of these people? Whom does Mr Berezovsky consider to be legitimate? I would be interested in hearing his response to learn the names of the true friends of the people, who truly express his opinion," Father Vsevolod said.
Father Vsevolod also said it is "interesting" that Berezovsky "is trying to present two 'prophesies' as having no alternative in his address: noisy protests will lead to shooting, when the flows of mutual accusations will lead to the killings of innocent people" and alleges that "society will not accept the election outcome, no matter how transparent and fair elections are."
"I would be interested to know what supreme or opposite force has revealed out future to Boris Abramovich. Berezovsky has enough things to do as it is. He has lived in the UK for many years and is sure to be familiar with the scientific, political, and public reality. Why not think about political reforms and predictions of public processes in that country? No doubt, the people of the UK may also benefit from the fountain of ideas of this non-standard and creative person," Father Vsevolod said.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03