17 January 2012, 13:43
Russian Orthodox Church responds to Berezovsky's address to Patriarch
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has expressed skepticism about the address issued by businessman Boris Berezovsky to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"On one hand, it may seem pleasant that Boris Abramovich is suggesting that the Church should increase its role in the events taking place in Russia. However, on the other hand, the past activities of this man lead one to believe that you should listen to this man attentively and do exactly the opposite," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the synodal department for church and society liaison, told Interfax-Religion, commenting on Berezovsky's address to Patriarch Kirill, which was published on the Ekho Moskvy website on Monday.
Berezovsky, who currently lives in London, suggested that the patriarch should "assume the historical mission of saving Russia from disturbance," "ensure a bloodless change of power in Russia," communicate "people's voice" to Vladimir Putin, and then "take power from his hands and pass it to the people in a peaceful, wise, and Christian manner."
Chaplin reiterated that taking secular power is "the last thing the Church is supposed to do" and all historical episodes where the Orthodox, Catholic, or any other church "became a secular power or part of it indicate that such a situation is bad."
"I don't quite understand what people Boris Abramovich [Berezovsky] wants the power to be given to. Where are representatives of these people? Whom does Mr Berezovsky consider to be legitimate? I would be interested in hearing his response to learn the names of the true friends of the people, who truly express his opinion," Father Vsevolod said.
Father Vsevolod also said it is "interesting" that Berezovsky "is trying to present two 'prophesies' as having no alternative in his address: noisy protests will lead to shooting, when the flows of mutual accusations will lead to the killings of innocent people" and alleges that "society will not accept the election outcome, no matter how transparent and fair elections are."
"I would be interested to know what supreme or opposite force has revealed out future to Boris Abramovich. Berezovsky has enough things to do as it is. He has lived in the UK for many years and is sure to be familiar with the scientific, political, and public reality. Why not think about political reforms and predictions of public processes in that country? No doubt, the people of the UK may also benefit from the fountain of ideas of this non-standard and creative person," Father Vsevolod said.
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01