18 January 2012, 13:53
Russian Muslims believe Krishnaites a sect and ready to deliver them Halal meat
Moscow, January 18, Interfax - Russia's Islam leaders believe the Society for Krishna Consciousness functioning in the country is a sect.
"Back in 2004, the Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims (CCNCM) was outraged with actions of the Society for Krishna Consciousness as it used disastrous condition of Muslim population in Chechnya and in mid 1990s conducted active proselyte work among it," general representative of the North Caucasus Muslim Board in Moscow Shafig Pshikhachev told Interfax-Religion.
The mufti reminded that then Islamic leaders of the North Caucasus called the Society for Krishna Consciousness "a destructive sect" and stressed that since then CCNCM position has not changed.
He mentioned that in 2004 Krishnaites accepted that they distributed food dedicated to Krishna as a humanitarian help to Muslims in Grozny "though they understood it pretty well that the Sharia law prohibits Muslims to eat such food."
The interviewee of the agency said that in the present moment Muslims of Karachayevo-Cherkessia complain of Krishnaites.
In his turn, first deputy chairman of the Central Spiritual Board of Russian Muslims Mufti of Moscow and Russia's Central Region Albir Krganov said he agreed with his colleague and recalled that in 2004 the Interrelligious Council of Russia that consists of all the country's traditional religions "condemned provocative actions of Krishnaites as they distribute sacrificial food the so-called Prasad."
"If the sect persists that when Krishnaites distributed their food they made a good deed then we're ready to pay the debt and start delivering nutritious Halal stewed meat in cans to starving Krishnaites of India. We are ready to personally distribute this meat to Russian Krishnaites," he said.
Another Islamic figure, head of All-Russian Muslim Board executive committee Muhammedgali Huzin told the agency that Russian authorities should not yield to the pressure connected with the judicial proceedings in Tomsk, which considered the question of banning Bhagavad-Gita as It Is with commentaries of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness founder Swami Prabhupada.
"I believe that Russian authorities should be principally tough in the question and shouldn't give way to any provocations and pressure. I think that Russia can do without semiliterate interpretations of ancient epos. Mahabharata is known here for more than a century and many reputable scientists wrote normal commentaries on it," the Mufti said.
- Ancient church in Spain's Granada transferred to Russian Orthodox community for use 27 January 2021, 16:01
- Senators approve Family Code amendments declaring supremacy of Russian Constitution, moral principles over int'l law 27 January 2021, 13:33
- Recruiters of the "caliphate" detained in Kaluga Region 27 January 2021, 10:36
- Jehovah's Witness acquitted in Kabardino-Balkaria in case over incitement to extremism 26 January 2021, 19:51
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia doesn't object to Jerusalem-based compound's transfer to Russia if it remains responsible for its 'pastoral ministry' 26 January 2021, 19:50
- Duma committee approves extrajudicial blocking of websites for justification of extremism 26 January 2021, 13:49
- Court to hear appeal against arrest of former schema-monk Sergy in Feb 26 January 2021, 10:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia insists on its rights over Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 25 January 2021, 18:42
- Russian Church against discrimination of those who refuse vaccination 25 January 2021, 14:27
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39