18 January 2012, 13:53
Russian Muslims believe Krishnaites a sect and ready to deliver them Halal meat
Moscow, January 18, Interfax - Russia's Islam leaders believe the Society for Krishna Consciousness functioning in the country is a sect.
"Back in 2004, the Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims (CCNCM) was outraged with actions of the Society for Krishna Consciousness as it used disastrous condition of Muslim population in Chechnya and in mid 1990s conducted active proselyte work among it," general representative of the North Caucasus Muslim Board in Moscow Shafig Pshikhachev told Interfax-Religion.
The mufti reminded that then Islamic leaders of the North Caucasus called the Society for Krishna Consciousness "a destructive sect" and stressed that since then CCNCM position has not changed.
He mentioned that in 2004 Krishnaites accepted that they distributed food dedicated to Krishna as a humanitarian help to Muslims in Grozny "though they understood it pretty well that the Sharia law prohibits Muslims to eat such food."
The interviewee of the agency said that in the present moment Muslims of Karachayevo-Cherkessia complain of Krishnaites.
In his turn, first deputy chairman of the Central Spiritual Board of Russian Muslims Mufti of Moscow and Russia's Central Region Albir Krganov said he agreed with his colleague and recalled that in 2004 the Interrelligious Council of Russia that consists of all the country's traditional religions "condemned provocative actions of Krishnaites as they distribute sacrificial food the so-called Prasad."
"If the sect persists that when Krishnaites distributed their food they made a good deed then we're ready to pay the debt and start delivering nutritious Halal stewed meat in cans to starving Krishnaites of India. We are ready to personally distribute this meat to Russian Krishnaites," he said.
Another Islamic figure, head of All-Russian Muslim Board executive committee Muhammedgali Huzin told the agency that Russian authorities should not yield to the pressure connected with the judicial proceedings in Tomsk, which considered the question of banning Bhagavad-Gita as It Is with commentaries of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness founder Swami Prabhupada.
"I believe that Russian authorities should be principally tough in the question and shouldn't give way to any provocations and pressure. I think that Russia can do without semiliterate interpretations of ancient epos. Mahabharata is known here for more than a century and many reputable scientists wrote normal commentaries on it," the Mufti said.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03