18 January 2012, 13:53
Russian Muslims believe Krishnaites a sect and ready to deliver them Halal meat
Moscow, January 18, Interfax - Russia's Islam leaders believe the Society for Krishna Consciousness functioning in the country is a sect.
"Back in 2004, the Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims (CCNCM) was outraged with actions of the Society for Krishna Consciousness as it used disastrous condition of Muslim population in Chechnya and in mid 1990s conducted active proselyte work among it," general representative of the North Caucasus Muslim Board in Moscow Shafig Pshikhachev told Interfax-Religion.
The mufti reminded that then Islamic leaders of the North Caucasus called the Society for Krishna Consciousness "a destructive sect" and stressed that since then CCNCM position has not changed.
He mentioned that in 2004 Krishnaites accepted that they distributed food dedicated to Krishna as a humanitarian help to Muslims in Grozny "though they understood it pretty well that the Sharia law prohibits Muslims to eat such food."
The interviewee of the agency said that in the present moment Muslims of Karachayevo-Cherkessia complain of Krishnaites.
In his turn, first deputy chairman of the Central Spiritual Board of Russian Muslims Mufti of Moscow and Russia's Central Region Albir Krganov said he agreed with his colleague and recalled that in 2004 the Interrelligious Council of Russia that consists of all the country's traditional religions "condemned provocative actions of Krishnaites as they distribute sacrificial food the so-called Prasad."
"If the sect persists that when Krishnaites distributed their food they made a good deed then we're ready to pay the debt and start delivering nutritious Halal stewed meat in cans to starving Krishnaites of India. We are ready to personally distribute this meat to Russian Krishnaites," he said.
Another Islamic figure, head of All-Russian Muslim Board executive committee Muhammedgali Huzin told the agency that Russian authorities should not yield to the pressure connected with the judicial proceedings in Tomsk, which considered the question of banning Bhagavad-Gita as It Is with commentaries of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness founder Swami Prabhupada.
"I believe that Russian authorities should be principally tough in the question and shouldn't give way to any provocations and pressure. I think that Russia can do without semiliterate interpretations of ancient epos. Mahabharata is known here for more than a century and many reputable scientists wrote normal commentaries on it," the Mufti said.
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42