18 January 2012, 13:53
Russian Muslims believe Krishnaites a sect and ready to deliver them Halal meat
Moscow, January 18, Interfax - Russia's Islam leaders believe the Society for Krishna Consciousness functioning in the country is a sect.
"Back in 2004, the Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims (CCNCM) was outraged with actions of the Society for Krishna Consciousness as it used disastrous condition of Muslim population in Chechnya and in mid 1990s conducted active proselyte work among it," general representative of the North Caucasus Muslim Board in Moscow Shafig Pshikhachev told Interfax-Religion.
The mufti reminded that then Islamic leaders of the North Caucasus called the Society for Krishna Consciousness "a destructive sect" and stressed that since then CCNCM position has not changed.
He mentioned that in 2004 Krishnaites accepted that they distributed food dedicated to Krishna as a humanitarian help to Muslims in Grozny "though they understood it pretty well that the Sharia law prohibits Muslims to eat such food."
The interviewee of the agency said that in the present moment Muslims of Karachayevo-Cherkessia complain of Krishnaites.
In his turn, first deputy chairman of the Central Spiritual Board of Russian Muslims Mufti of Moscow and Russia's Central Region Albir Krganov said he agreed with his colleague and recalled that in 2004 the Interrelligious Council of Russia that consists of all the country's traditional religions "condemned provocative actions of Krishnaites as they distribute sacrificial food the so-called Prasad."
"If the sect persists that when Krishnaites distributed their food they made a good deed then we're ready to pay the debt and start delivering nutritious Halal stewed meat in cans to starving Krishnaites of India. We are ready to personally distribute this meat to Russian Krishnaites," he said.
Another Islamic figure, head of All-Russian Muslim Board executive committee Muhammedgali Huzin told the agency that Russian authorities should not yield to the pressure connected with the judicial proceedings in Tomsk, which considered the question of banning Bhagavad-Gita as It Is with commentaries of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness founder Swami Prabhupada.
"I believe that Russian authorities should be principally tough in the question and shouldn't give way to any provocations and pressure. I think that Russia can do without semiliterate interpretations of ancient epos. Mahabharata is known here for more than a century and many reputable scientists wrote normal commentaries on it," the Mufti said.
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39