23 January 2012, 17:48
Kazakhstan denies persecution of Orthodox Christians
Astana, January 23, Interfax - Kazakhstan claimed on Monday that its Orthodox Christian community enjoys equal rights and that the country is a land of "ethnic and religious harmony."
"We have lived in peace and harmony for centuries. The Orthodox Church of Kazakhstan and all Orthodox believers in our country have consistently been stating their attitude to, and their assessment of, this unique achievement, ethnic and religious harmony and the rights of the Orthodox citizens of Kazakhstan," Foreign Ministry spokesman Altay Abibullayev told a briefing in Astana.
Abibullayev was commenting on the case of a family from Kazakhstan who had sought asylum in France, claiming they had been persecuted in Kazakhstan because of being Orthodox and ethnic Russian.
Vladimir Popov, Yekaterina Popova and their two children were denied asylum. French authorities kept them in detention for two weeks and repeatedly tried to deport them to Kazakhstan.
The European Court of Human Rights found France guilty of violating Article 3 (prohibition of inhuman or degrading treatment), Article 5 (right to liberty and security) and Article 8 (right to respect to private and family life) of the European Convention on Human Rights, and ordered France to pay the family 13,000 euros.
"The European Court of Human Rights does not accuse Kazakhstan. It is a ruling about France for departure from provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights," Abibullayev said. "At the same time, we naturally totally disagree with the actual point that Orthodox believers are persecuted in Kazakhstan."
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15