25 January 2012, 11:48
Ex-head of a Kazakh region appears at church fresco among those who welcome Christ
Alma-Ata/Moscow, January 25, Interfax - Former akim of the Kustanay Region, Kazakhstan, Sergey Kulagin is depicted in a fresco at the new cathedral in the town of Rudny.
"Recently appointed senator, ex-akim of the Kustanay Region Sergey Kulagin was found... in a crowd of people meeting Jesus Christ in Jerusalem. Those who don't believe it can make certain it's true if they look at a fresco of the cathedral in the town of Rudny," the Vremya paper writes on Wednesday.
According to the authors' information, icon painters who worked in the church thus fulfilled the wish of their client - ENRC holding.
According to the article, Kulagin's figure causes many questions.
"Besides a commonplace question: "What is he doing here?" a thorough spectator wonders why Kulagin stands as if fixed to the spot in the crowd of those who welcome Christ and it seems he is hustled away to the background. The spectator involuntary thinks that he feels awkwardly at ease. As if he feels uncomfortable there," the material reads.
Professor of the Moscow Theological Academy Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev wrote in his blog that he used to visit the church when the icons were not completed yet.
"And I remember that priest complained that builders of the church (a city-forming company and administration) do not consider requests of the Church. Images of sponsors (princes, emperors) used to be depicted in churches. But it was usually done at the western wall, in the vestibule, not far from the entrance. And here we have it under the dome, in heavenly height," Father Andrey said.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated) 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54