25 January 2012, 11:48
Ex-head of a Kazakh region appears at church fresco among those who welcome Christ
Alma-Ata/Moscow, January 25, Interfax - Former akim of the Kustanay Region, Kazakhstan, Sergey Kulagin is depicted in a fresco at the new cathedral in the town of Rudny.
"Recently appointed senator, ex-akim of the Kustanay Region Sergey Kulagin was found... in a crowd of people meeting Jesus Christ in Jerusalem. Those who don't believe it can make certain it's true if they look at a fresco of the cathedral in the town of Rudny," the Vremya paper writes on Wednesday.
According to the authors' information, icon painters who worked in the church thus fulfilled the wish of their client - ENRC holding.
According to the article, Kulagin's figure causes many questions.
"Besides a commonplace question: "What is he doing here?" a thorough spectator wonders why Kulagin stands as if fixed to the spot in the crowd of those who welcome Christ and it seems he is hustled away to the background. The spectator involuntary thinks that he feels awkwardly at ease. As if he feels uncomfortable there," the material reads.
Professor of the Moscow Theological Academy Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev wrote in his blog that he used to visit the church when the icons were not completed yet.
"And I remember that priest complained that builders of the church (a city-forming company and administration) do not consider requests of the Church. Images of sponsors (princes, emperors) used to be depicted in churches. But it was usually done at the western wall, in the vestibule, not far from the entrance. And here we have it under the dome, in heavenly height," Father Andrey said.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14