26 January 2012, 13:21
Terror attacks on Orthodox Jews prevented in Baku
Moscow, January 26, Interfax - The Azeri security service has arrested three people on suspicion of preparing terror attacks at sites of the Khabad Orthodox Jewish organization in Baku and attempts upon the life of Jewish leaders, a source in the Federation of Jewish Communities of the CIS told the Interfax-Religion website on Thursday.
The Azeri Defense Ministry said that the detainees had smuggled pistols with silencers, rifles with optic aiming sights and a large amount of explosives into the country. The arms were found 150 kilometers away from Baku.
Photographs of the Khabad center in Baku and the Or Avner Jewish schools were found, as well.
In the opinion of Azeri counter-intelligence officers, the terrorists planned to attack Rabbi Shneur Segal and the head of the Or Avner school, Rabbi Mati Luis.
The Federation of Jewish Communities said that Rabbi Segal did not know about the preparing attack but various sources said that the Khabad envoys to Baku were put under protection of the local security services. The security of other Jewish sites was also tightened.
- Ban on adoption of Russian children by gays is Russia's sovereign choice - Russian Orthodox Church 19 June 2013, 13:49
- G8 concerned by the increasingly sectarian nature of the Syrian conflict 19 June 2013, 10:29
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00