06 March 2012, 17:24
Patriarch Kirill decorates world first woman-cosmonaut with a rare church order
Moscow, March 6, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia decided to decorate first woman-cosmonaut and State Duma MP Valentina Tereshkova with a church order for Glory and Honor (1st degree).
Such a decision was taken regarding how much Tereshkova made for "Motherland and the Russian Orthodox Church," the Patriarch said in his message dedicated to the cosmonaut's jubilee, the Moscow Patriarchate reports at its website.
"Your life is connected with the history of Cosmonautics. Having made a solo flight in space in 1963, at dawn of outer space exploration, you are still a symbol of high spiritual treats of a Russian woman ready for selfless heroism not only in Russia but in the whole world," the document reads.
Today Tereshkova celebrates her 75th birthday.
Order for Glory and Honor is the second important order of the Russian Church and was set up in 2004. State and government heads, leaders of international and intergovernmental organizations, state, public and religious figures are decorated with it for significant contribution in interchurch and interreligious cooperation, in strengthening peace and friendship among nations.
This order is given more seldom than other awards of the Russian Church.
Among its holders are Patriarch Alexy II, newly elected President Vladimir Putin, Cuban leader Fidel Castro, head of the Muslims of the Caucuses Allahshukur Pasha-zade, Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45