14 March 2012, 10:02
The Hermitage presents Titian's painting Flight into Egypt restored for 12 years
St.Petersburg, March 14, Interfax - First of the survived Titian's paintings is returned from a 12-year restoration: the work from the State Hermitage collection will be temporary exhibited in London and then brought back to St.Petersburg.
"We need to understand that it is the only work of such kind. We can call it "the first." It's the first Renaissance landscape. It's the first ordered painting of such scale. Finally, it's the first survived Titian's paintings," Hermitage senior research officer Irina Artemyeva said at the presentation given to sum up results of the restoration works.
Restored painting The Flight into Egyptwill be the key exhibit in the exposition Titian's First Masterpiece that is to open in the London National Gallery in April. The painting will be brought to the Hermitage in autumn for permanent exposition.
Titian Vecellio's The Flight into Egypt is dated by the early 16th century. The painting was transferred to the Hermitage in 1769 from Earl Bruhl collection in Dresden. The decision to start restoration works was taken in March 1999. Experts conserved the painting and cleared it from destructive shadow dark coating and extensive old renovations of the previous restoration.
Flight into Egypt is an escape of Jesus Christ's family to Egypt described in the Gospel according to Mathew and taken to avoid the Massacre of the Innocents ordered by King Herod. Flight into Egypt is a popular theme in painting.
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22