16 March 2012, 17:49
Evenings of Irish culture to be held in Moscow and St. Petersburg on St. Patrick Day
St. Petersburg/Moscow, March 16, Interfax - The 13th International Folk Festival will take place on March 17 in the Kosmonavt Club in St. Petersburg on the occasion of St. Patrick Day.
"All fans of merry Irish jig, lively reel and swift hornpipe should get ready for the whole night of dances and music of favorite bands," organizers told Interfax-Religion.
The festival unites the best folk groups from Russia and other countries. Musicians from Ireland, America, Australia, Latvia participated in it last years.
This year the festival will last for 9.5 hours
The Lege Artis Studio will perform Irish dances in the Moscow International House of Music.
Besides, renowned Irish harp player Lily Neill will play music by Irish composers in the Library of Foreign Literature on March 19. The exhibition William Butler Yeats. Irish Poet and Playwright will take place in its foyer.
Festival programs are expected in Irish bars of the capital.
Earlier, St. Patrick Day was annually celebrated in Moscow. Such tradition has originated from 1992 when 15 decorated platforms representing Russian and Irish companies moved along the Novy Arbat Street accompanied with brass bands and horse stuntmen.
St. Patrick is Ireland heavenly protector venerated by the Roman-Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church. He is considered a founder and the first bishop of the Irish Church. Saint Patrick came to Ireland as a missionary in the 5th century. According to the tradition, preaching the great mystery of the Trinity he picked up the shamrock and showed it to Irishmen to illustrate the idea.
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01