19 March 2012, 14:11
Pussy Riot gave a "concert" in Yelokhovo Cathedral two days before their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The Pussy Riot performance in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was not the first group's action in a shrine.
"On February 19, two days before their blasphemous escapade in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, the same group tried to stage something the same in the Epiphany Cathedral in Yelokhovo. They tried to play the guitars, but parishioners stopped this action and removed them from the church," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to him, the video filmed in the Epiphany Cathedral was then included in the video about their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The video was posted in the Pussy Riot LiveJournal.
"This episode shows that the action was seriously prepared, many people organized it, including those who recorded it," the interviewee of the agency said.
He said it is important to determine all organizers and possible masterminds of the action, those who took part in its preparation, and those who disseminate the text and the video of the actions.
"I am convinced that this text and this video are extremist materials and their dissemination constitutes an extremist activity. Read the law on the prevention of extremist activities and you will see that it described exactly what we see in this video and text," the priest said, adding that the video and the text "clearly fan hatred against Orthodox people and allege their inferiority."
He said that "kindling hatred to Orthodox is evident, believers are considered defective."
"They say the believers are "crawling to bow". Religious feelings are insulted. The name of God is mentioned together with abusive words and it is certainly kindling hatred between believers and atheists. Provocative blasphemy and improper behavior in church are promoted. It is more than hooliganism, it's instigation to hatred between people," Father Vsevold believes.
The current debate on this performance is "the feud fanned by the organizers and participants in this performance," he said.
"They have declared war on Orthodox people, and there will be a war. However, responsibility for it rests with those who started it. If the blasphemers are not punished, God will punish them in eternity and here through people," Father Vsevolod said.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09