19 March 2012, 14:11
Pussy Riot gave a "concert" in Yelokhovo Cathedral two days before their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The Pussy Riot performance in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was not the first group's action in a shrine.
"On February 19, two days before their blasphemous escapade in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, the same group tried to stage something the same in the Epiphany Cathedral in Yelokhovo. They tried to play the guitars, but parishioners stopped this action and removed them from the church," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to him, the video filmed in the Epiphany Cathedral was then included in the video about their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The video was posted in the Pussy Riot LiveJournal.
"This episode shows that the action was seriously prepared, many people organized it, including those who recorded it," the interviewee of the agency said.
He said it is important to determine all organizers and possible masterminds of the action, those who took part in its preparation, and those who disseminate the text and the video of the actions.
"I am convinced that this text and this video are extremist materials and their dissemination constitutes an extremist activity. Read the law on the prevention of extremist activities and you will see that it described exactly what we see in this video and text," the priest said, adding that the video and the text "clearly fan hatred against Orthodox people and allege their inferiority."
He said that "kindling hatred to Orthodox is evident, believers are considered defective."
"They say the believers are "crawling to bow". Religious feelings are insulted. The name of God is mentioned together with abusive words and it is certainly kindling hatred between believers and atheists. Provocative blasphemy and improper behavior in church are promoted. It is more than hooliganism, it's instigation to hatred between people," Father Vsevold believes.
The current debate on this performance is "the feud fanned by the organizers and participants in this performance," he said.
"They have declared war on Orthodox people, and there will be a war. However, responsibility for it rests with those who started it. If the blasphemers are not punished, God will punish them in eternity and here through people," Father Vsevolod said.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14