19 March 2012, 14:11
Pussy Riot gave a "concert" in Yelokhovo Cathedral two days before their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The Pussy Riot performance in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was not the first group's action in a shrine.
"On February 19, two days before their blasphemous escapade in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, the same group tried to stage something the same in the Epiphany Cathedral in Yelokhovo. They tried to play the guitars, but parishioners stopped this action and removed them from the church," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to him, the video filmed in the Epiphany Cathedral was then included in the video about their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The video was posted in the Pussy Riot LiveJournal.
"This episode shows that the action was seriously prepared, many people organized it, including those who recorded it," the interviewee of the agency said.
He said it is important to determine all organizers and possible masterminds of the action, those who took part in its preparation, and those who disseminate the text and the video of the actions.
"I am convinced that this text and this video are extremist materials and their dissemination constitutes an extremist activity. Read the law on the prevention of extremist activities and you will see that it described exactly what we see in this video and text," the priest said, adding that the video and the text "clearly fan hatred against Orthodox people and allege their inferiority."
He said that "kindling hatred to Orthodox is evident, believers are considered defective."
"They say the believers are "crawling to bow". Religious feelings are insulted. The name of God is mentioned together with abusive words and it is certainly kindling hatred between believers and atheists. Provocative blasphemy and improper behavior in church are promoted. It is more than hooliganism, it's instigation to hatred between people," Father Vsevold believes.
The current debate on this performance is "the feud fanned by the organizers and participants in this performance," he said.
"They have declared war on Orthodox people, and there will be a war. However, responsibility for it rests with those who started it. If the blasphemers are not punished, God will punish them in eternity and here through people," Father Vsevolod said.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28