19 March 2012, 14:11
Pussy Riot gave a "concert" in Yelokhovo Cathedral two days before their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - The Pussy Riot performance in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was not the first group's action in a shrine.
"On February 19, two days before their blasphemous escapade in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, the same group tried to stage something the same in the Epiphany Cathedral in Yelokhovo. They tried to play the guitars, but parishioners stopped this action and removed them from the church," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to him, the video filmed in the Epiphany Cathedral was then included in the video about their action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The video was posted in the Pussy Riot LiveJournal.
"This episode shows that the action was seriously prepared, many people organized it, including those who recorded it," the interviewee of the agency said.
He said it is important to determine all organizers and possible masterminds of the action, those who took part in its preparation, and those who disseminate the text and the video of the actions.
"I am convinced that this text and this video are extremist materials and their dissemination constitutes an extremist activity. Read the law on the prevention of extremist activities and you will see that it described exactly what we see in this video and text," the priest said, adding that the video and the text "clearly fan hatred against Orthodox people and allege their inferiority."
He said that "kindling hatred to Orthodox is evident, believers are considered defective."
"They say the believers are "crawling to bow". Religious feelings are insulted. The name of God is mentioned together with abusive words and it is certainly kindling hatred between believers and atheists. Provocative blasphemy and improper behavior in church are promoted. It is more than hooliganism, it's instigation to hatred between people," Father Vsevold believes.
The current debate on this performance is "the feud fanned by the organizers and participants in this performance," he said.
"They have declared war on Orthodox people, and there will be a war. However, responsibility for it rests with those who started it. If the blasphemers are not punished, God will punish them in eternity and here through people," Father Vsevolod said.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism.
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48
- Putin wishes Russian Jews happiness, well-being 28 December 2016, 18:47
- Investigators toughen charge against imam of Yardyam Mosque suspected of justifying terrorism 28 December 2016, 12:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls victims of Tu-154 crash symbols of national life and pride 27 December 2016, 13:23
- Worship cross to commemorate polar explorers will be set up in Arctic 27 December 2016, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill offers his Christmas greetings to the Pope of Rome 26 December 2016, 17:56
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of victims dead in Tu-154 crash 26 December 2016, 10:35
- The battle against Judaist yoke's author fined 100,000 rubles for extremist calls 23 December 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls against understating achievements of Soviet administration, troubles that hit country 22 December 2016, 18:46
- Moscow security officers detain members of Tablighi Jamaat extremist cell led by foreign emissaries 22 December 2016, 18:41
- Moscow court sentences former Moscow State University student Ivanova (Karaulova) to 4.5 years in prison 22 December 2016, 18:38
- FJCR sees Uman incident as result of glorifying radical nationalists in Ukraine 22 December 2016, 15:59