19 March 2012, 17:46
Berezovsky makes Christian party
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - London resident, businessman Boris Berezovsky has announced the decision to form a party based on Christian and Democratic values.
"I propose to call it the Christian Democratic Revolutionary Party of Russia or the Resurrection Party," Berezovsky wrote in LiveJournal on Monday.
"Christian because love and freedom are the cornerstones of our party ideology. Democratic because only a democratic political system in Russia can ensure the implementation of our ideology. Revolutionary because a shift from pagan to Christian mentality means revolution. The Resurrection Party because we will announce the party's establishment on Resurrection Day, April 15," he said.
The party does not need registration in Russia, Berezovsky said. "The registration of a party by illegitimate authorities will make it illegitimate and imply a conspiracy between the party founders and the Kremlin," he said.
"The main feature of the Russian reality is that a large part of Russian citizens who call themselves Orthodox Christians are pagans. Christianity and Orthodoxy are a ritual rather than a conviction for many believers," he said.
"Two fundamental Christian values - freedom and love - have a rudimentary form in the mentality of a huge number of Russian citizens. This is exposed easily in the way Russian speaking people translate these holy words from Russian into Russian. It appears that freedom means a free will instead of a behavioral space voluntarily restricted with commandments and internal barriers. Hence the external barrier - law - is overstepped easily," he said.
Political life is destroyed in modern Russia, Berezovsky said. "As a result, Russian public life is chaotic and devoid of political structuring, which opens a way to political competition and, consequentially, to an efficient modern state," he said.
However, the free media and the advanced part of society have recently started a discussion, which reveals political trends, he remarked.
"In my opinion, the main political preferences are divided between national liberals, socialists and liberals. I do not aspire for fullness or precision of this classification. I only want to say that the process has begun," he said.
Berezovsky made an unsuccessful attempt to establish the Liberal Russia Party in the early 2000s.
He was granted refugee status in the UK in 2003. The British authorities denied his extradition to Russia, which charged him with a number of criminal offenses.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14