22 March 2012, 11:00
Orthodox activists rally near British embassy in Moscow
Moscow, March 22, Interfax - A picket in defense of Christians' rights in the UK was held near the British embassy in Moscow on Wednesday.
The picket was organized by the Orthodox public movement Narodny Sobor in response to the decision made by the British authorities to fire people for openly wearing crosses, Narodny Sobor told Interfax-Religion.
The protesters were holding imperial flags saying "Stop the persecution of Christians!" and "Britain! If you ban crosses, ban your flag too!"
"The Moscow division of Narodny Sobor is concerned about the recent developments in the EU in general and in the UK in particular, where discrimination against Christians has become commonplace. We consider it our duty to categorically oppose militant atheism and anti-Christian tolerance in any country of the world," the movement says.
According to earlier reports, the British authorities intend to defend the legality of the ban on public wearing of crosses in the UK in the European Court of Human Rights.
The Strasbourg court will try lawsuits involving the religious discrimination against four Christians from the UK, who have lost their cases in British courts.
The Russian Church earlier expressed surprise about the loyalty of the British authorities, who have banned wearing crosses at work, to other symbols, for example, gay symbols.
"This decision made by the British parliament is certainly alarming, especially given the existence in modern European society of other tendencies aimed at liberating human instincts," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Synodal Information Department, told reporters. He said he was surprised by the fact that public demonstration of affiliation with gay culture is considered normal in the UK while the wearing of crosses is not.
- Female bikers will carry out a pilgrimage on bikes across Russia 28 April 2017, 21:09
- Military court sentences Moscow mosque imam charged with justifying terrorism to 3 years' imprisonment 28 April 2017, 19:37
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28