22 March 2012, 13:40
Pussy Riot "performance" should be classified as feud-fanning crime - Russia's Interreligious Council
Moscow, March 22, Interfax - Representatives of Russia's traditional religions have classified the recent "performance" by the punk group Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, which has drawn a lot of debate in society and among the clergy, as sacrilege.
"What occurred in the main Orthodox church of the country, when a group of women wearing masks and provocative clothes started dancing in front of the pulpit, shouting words that are blasphemous and insulting to Christians, deeply shocked believers in all our religious communities," the Interreligious Council said in a statement adopted in the Moscow Horal Synagogue on Thursday.
The meeting participants reiterated that this act is "not just hooliganism, but their purpose was to cause religious feuds in society."
"We are calling on those who committed that evil act to come to reason and publicly apologize. We are confident that these people's act has hurt the majority of our country's citizens, regardless of their convictions," the document says.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism. Three "performers" were later arrested. They will remain under arrest until April 24.
The Pussy Riot "performance" drew broad public response and divided society and the Orthodox public. The administration of the Russian Orthodox Church and a considerable number of believers demanded punishment for the feminists' but many Orthodox believers have called for them to be forgiven.
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08
- Three religious organizations get warnings from Justice Ministry for breaches of legislation 08 May 2015, 17:20
- Xi Jinping praise Russian Church's role in fight against fascism 08 May 2015, 17:13
- Orthodox faith was the decisive factor for the Victory, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 08 May 2015, 15:13
- Night Wolves to pray in the Russian Cathedral in Berlin on Victory Day 08 May 2015, 10:00
- Another 19 Islamists convicted in Tajikistan 07 May 2015, 13:41
- The reason of Ukrainian conflict in degradation of ruling elites – Ukrainian Church 07 May 2015, 10:10
- The Victory in Great Patriotic War the God's miracle – Patriarch Kirill 07 May 2015, 10:02
- Ten Islamists jailed in Tajikistan 05 May 2015, 10:29
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members convicted of terror plot to blow up N. Novgorod shopping mall 05 May 2015, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill grateful to Pope for considered stance on Ukraine, condemns Uniates 05 May 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by Christianophobia in Europe 05 May 2015, 10:05
- Grande Duke Nikolay Nikolayevich, his spouse laid to rest at WWII Memorial chapel 05 May 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church sends 78 tonnes of food to southeastern Ukraine 30 April 2015, 18:21
- Preparations for All-Orthodox Council accompanied by intrigues - Patriarch Kirill 30 April 2015, 18:19