22 March 2012, 13:40
Pussy Riot "performance" should be classified as feud-fanning crime - Russia's Interreligious Council
Moscow, March 22, Interfax - Representatives of Russia's traditional religions have classified the recent "performance" by the punk group Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, which has drawn a lot of debate in society and among the clergy, as sacrilege.
"What occurred in the main Orthodox church of the country, when a group of women wearing masks and provocative clothes started dancing in front of the pulpit, shouting words that are blasphemous and insulting to Christians, deeply shocked believers in all our religious communities," the Interreligious Council said in a statement adopted in the Moscow Horal Synagogue on Thursday.
The meeting participants reiterated that this act is "not just hooliganism, but their purpose was to cause religious feuds in society."
"We are calling on those who committed that evil act to come to reason and publicly apologize. We are confident that these people's act has hurt the majority of our country's citizens, regardless of their convictions," the document says.
On February 21, the feminist punk group Pussy Riot gave a performance near the entrance to the altar of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The young women said their performance was "a punk prayer." A criminal case was opened on the basis of the Russian Criminal Code article dealing with hooliganism. Three "performers" were later arrested. They will remain under arrest until April 24.
The Pussy Riot "performance" drew broad public response and divided society and the Orthodox public. The administration of the Russian Orthodox Church and a considerable number of believers demanded punishment for the feminists' but many Orthodox believers have called for them to be forgiven.
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00
- Azerbaijan counts on efficiency of OIC Contact Group for Karabakh 20 September 2016, 11:49
- Radical Islam present big problem for region – Israel 20 September 2016, 11:15
- Barbie is not likely to pass expertise in EurAsEC countries 19 September 2016, 18:43
- Old icons taken from Russia in wartime conveyed to the Berlin Diocese 19 September 2016, 10:23
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Russian journalists detained in Kosovo while filming footage about Orthodox churches 16 September 2016, 11:00
- Schismatic priest moves out Donbass refugees from a hospice not far from Kiev 15 September 2016, 18:01
- Putin and Medvedev for preserving archeological artifacts from Crimea where many ancient Greek temples were located 15 September 2016, 17:35
- Schismatics and nationalists seize a church in western Ukraine 15 September 2016, 10:58
- 70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert 14 September 2016, 16:32
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court permits public religious services without authorization 14 September 2016, 11:18
- Pope to visit Azerbaijan in early October 14 September 2016, 11:07
- St. Seraphim relics to be conveyed to the International Space Station 14 September 2016, 10:43
- Russian Supreme Court to consider a plaint to ban Aum Shinrikyo 14 September 2016, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy 13 September 2016, 17:57
- Uzbekistan to have Islam Karimov mosque 13 September 2016, 17:13
- Kazakh president signs decree on setting up ministry for religious affairs 13 September 2016, 17:02
- Schismatics destroyed a building of unfinished UOC church 13 September 2016, 12:26
- Holy relics from Vatican to be conveyed to a church in the Nizhny Novgorod Region 12 September 2016, 15:44