26 March 2012, 11:57
Patriarch Kirill calls Pussy Riot action the Devil's mockery
Moscow, March 26, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia depreciated the Pussy Riot action at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
"We have no future if we start mocking at great shrines and if some people consider this mockery a kind of bravery, an expression of political protest, an appropriate action or innocent joke," the Patriarch said on Saturday after a Liturgy in Moscow Church of Deposition of the Robe of the Holy Virgin.
The Primate confessed that his heart was breaking as there were people who "call themselves Orthodox" among those who justified this blasphemy and underestimated it.
The Patriarch called the incident the Devil's intrigues.
"Today all of us are going through the Great Lent. The Devil laughed at all of us, bringing so much sorrows on the days when we should depart from disturbances of this world, pray, restrict ourselves with fasting, repent in our own sins," he said.
The Patriarch supposed that this trial was sent to believers on the days of the Great Lent so that "all of us realize our responsibility for our Motherland, for the Holy Russia, for Orthodox faith."
"Orthodox people express this responsibility, first of all, in their ardent prayer to God. Those people don't believe in the power of prayer. They believe in power of propaganda, in power of lies and slender, in power of the Internet, in power of mass media, in power of money and weapons. We believe in power of prayer," the Patriarch stressed.
He urged the whole Church "to sincere and ardent prayers for our country, for our faith, for our people, so that the Lord forgives us our sins, again extends His mercy to usso that passing through all temptations, we left them behind as purified, strong people capable to settle their future according to God's law and human conscience.
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49