26 March 2012, 11:57
Patriarch Kirill calls Pussy Riot action the Devil's mockery
Moscow, March 26, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia depreciated the Pussy Riot action at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
"We have no future if we start mocking at great shrines and if some people consider this mockery a kind of bravery, an expression of political protest, an appropriate action or innocent joke," the Patriarch said on Saturday after a Liturgy in Moscow Church of Deposition of the Robe of the Holy Virgin.
The Primate confessed that his heart was breaking as there were people who "call themselves Orthodox" among those who justified this blasphemy and underestimated it.
The Patriarch called the incident the Devil's intrigues.
"Today all of us are going through the Great Lent. The Devil laughed at all of us, bringing so much sorrows on the days when we should depart from disturbances of this world, pray, restrict ourselves with fasting, repent in our own sins," he said.
The Patriarch supposed that this trial was sent to believers on the days of the Great Lent so that "all of us realize our responsibility for our Motherland, for the Holy Russia, for Orthodox faith."
"Orthodox people express this responsibility, first of all, in their ardent prayer to God. Those people don't believe in the power of prayer. They believe in power of propaganda, in power of lies and slender, in power of the Internet, in power of mass media, in power of money and weapons. We believe in power of prayer," the Patriarch stressed.
He urged the whole Church "to sincere and ardent prayers for our country, for our faith, for our people, so that the Lord forgives us our sins, again extends His mercy to usso that passing through all temptations, we left them behind as purified, strong people capable to settle their future according to God's law and human conscience.
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy" 20 December 2013, 17:33
- MHG head sees Khodorkovsky as spiritual leader, compares him with Gandhi, Sakharov and Havel 20 December 2013, 13:52
- Regular religious services are conducted only in half of Moscow's 958 Orthodox churches 20 December 2013, 13:23
- Pardoning Pussy Riot is not reconsidering court ruling – Putin 19 December 2013, 15:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges safety of clergy 19 December 2013, 10:10
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Head of Russian Jewish organization slams EU "pressure" on Ukraine 18 December 2013, 10:03
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Kyrgyzstan arrests 8 members of Hizb ut-Tahrir 16 December 2013, 10:10
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39