26 March 2012, 18:05
21 priests serve in Russian army
Moscow, March 26, Interfax - Over 240 military priests will serve in the Army and Navy, said Boris Lukichev, head of the Russian Armed Forces Directorate for working with religious servicemen.
"We have 21 priests in the army and navy. They signed contracts with commanders and perform their professional duties. Twenty are Orthodox Christians and one is from a Muslim ummah, imam-hatyb Sindikayev. He is serving in the Southern Military District. The rest were sent to other districts and army services," Lukichev said in an interview with the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper, published on Monday.
Following the defense minister's decision in 2010, the ministry introduced 240 positions for military priests and nine civilian positions, he said. Priest vacancies were first filled at Russian military bases abroad: Archpriest Alexander Bondarenko in Sevastopol, Priest Alexander Terpugov in Gudaut (Abkhazia) and Archimandrite Andrei (Vats) in Gyumri (Armenia).
The starting salary of a military priest is 10,000 rubles, Lukichev said. Yet another 100% of that is being paid for the difficulty of the military service. Plus, a regional coefficient and additional payments due after a certain period of service. Plus bonuses. In total, they are paid on average around 27,000-30,000 rubles, and the figure is even higher abroad.
Also, the material pay for priests (bed sheets, clothes, boots, and other gear) is being decided; when in a field, a priest can wear field uniform. But a priest is not in administrative subordination to the command. Nor does he have any military rank.
Up to 70% of the Russian army consider themselves religious, the defense official said. Eighty percent of them are Orthodox Christians. This is why most priests are Orthodox Christians, particularly in the tactical forces. Two hundred worship facilities have so far been built at military bases. Most of them are Orthodox Christian, and only four are Muslim prayer rooms.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42