27 March 2012, 11:47
Moscow Orthodox community tells gays not to play with fire
Moscow, March 27, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox community is determined to prevent rallies by gay and lesbian activists in reaction to the adoption of a law in St. Petersburg banning "homosexual propaganda".
"According to our sources, gay and lesbian activists plan to organize rallies near children's establishments in Moscow and St. Petersburg. We will offer robust resistance. It looks like they need more than gay clubs and propaganda in the media and on the Internet. They are targeting our children now," Yury Ageshchev, the coordinator of the Union of Orthodox Brotherhoods, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
"Russia differs from unbridled Europe. Here different values and traditions reign," he said.
"This is our warning: We are a peaceful people, but we will stand tall to defend our children adequately. One should not play with fire," Ageshchev said.
Hegumen Sergy (Rybko), a prominent missioner and senior priest at several Moscow churches told Interfax-Religion that he had blessed Orthodox believers to combat gay rallies.
"The sins that these people popularize have no place in this country," he said.
Father Sergy thanked the authorities in St. Petersburg for passing the law and deputies of the Novosibirsk legislature who want to follow in St. Petersburg's footsteps.
The organizer of Moscow gay parades Nikolay Alexeyev earlier announced that protests would be staged near children's establishments this week in St. Petersburg "to provide objective information about the nature of homosexuality to the public and teenagers."
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't attend celebrations on 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence at Kiev's St. Sophia Cathedral 24 August 2021, 17:51