29 March 2012, 13:50
Anti-gay bill submitted to Russian parliament
Moscow, March 29, Interfax - A bill imposing administrative punishment for propaganda of homosexuality among minors has been submitted to the State Duma.
The Novosibirsk regional Legislative Assembly has proposed amending the Code of Administrative Offences so that an ordinary individual guilty of propaganda of homosexuality among minors should face a fine varying from 4,000 to 5,000 rubles. An official guilty of the same offence would be fined 40,000 to 50,000 rubles and a legal entity from 400,000 to 500,000 rubles.
The authors of the bill insist that their proposal cannot be viewed as one violating constitutional rights of individuals.
The bill authorizes Interior Ministry officials to compile administrative offence reports for public activities aimed at propagating homosexuality among minors, and judges would be authorized to consider such administrative offences.
"Propaganda of homosexuality has gained momentum in contemporary Russia," and this propaganda is being spread both through the media and through "active organization of public actions propagating homosexuality as a norm," says an explanatory note to the bill.
The Novosibirsk lawmakers believe such information is especially dangerous to children and teenagers, as they are unable to seriously assess it.
"This is why the younger generation should be primarily protected against homosexuality propaganda, and this bill is intended for this very purpose," the note says.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated) 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54