04 April 2012, 10:03
Amnesty International recognizes jailed punk band members as prisoners of conscience
Moscow, April 4, Interfax - Amnesty International has recognized the members of the Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot, arrested for their scandalous performance at the Christ the Savior Cathedral, as prisoners of conscience.
"Even if the three arrested women did take part in the action, such severe response measures by the Russian authorities as taking them into custody on charges of such a serious crime as disorderly conduct are an unjustifiably tough reaction to a peaceful, although insulting to many people, expression of their political views. Hence, these three women can be considered prisoners of conscience," Sergey Nikitin, the head of the Amnesty International office in Russia, told Interfax.
"Amnesty International calls for immediate and unconditional release of the three young women whom the Russian authorities have arrested as members of the punk band Pussy Riot and who performed a protest song in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow on February 21," Nikitin said.
Pussy Riot, an all-girl punk group, sang an anti-Putin song at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on February 21, calling it a "punk prayer." A video of the "concert" swiftly spread through the Internet. Police opened a criminal case against the singers on disorderly conduct charges. Three singers, i.e. Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekatrina Santsevich, were later detained, and courts ruled that they will remain in custody at least until April 24.
The Pussy Riot action caused a broad public response and has become a matter of controversy. The Russian Orthodox Church and a larger part of Russian believers demanded that the feminists be punished, but quite a numerous group of Orthodox believers called for pardoning them.
- Head of Russian Jewish organization slams EU "pressure" on Ukraine 18 December 2013, 10:03
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Kyrgyzstan arrests 8 members of Hizb ut-Tahrir 16 December 2013, 10:10
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11