09 April 2012, 10:05
Patriarch Kirill horrified by statistics of teenage suicides
Moscow, April 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has sounded an alarm over the situation in Russian families, and suicide, alcohol and drug abuse rates among young people.
"The public is horrified by news reports of a young couple [in Bryansk] murdering their infant and then claiming that she had disappeared, which plunged the entire city and nation into deep distress. Then another news report came about a father killing his daughter only because she did not want to eat porridge," he said at a Friday session of the patriarchal commission for the protection of the family and motherhood.
All this news mixes with "horrible information about child suicides, the ease with which children and teenagers put an end to their lives," the Patriarch said.
"Without understanding that moral problems are rooted in the family, we won't succeed. We must clearly realize today that the talk of morality is not simply a flow of nice words, a refrain repeated in church sermons that is sometimes waived as something boring and even tiring. The church speaks of these things day after day and will not stop speaking," he said.
The Patriarch said that Russia faces the threat of extinction and loss of its national identity.
The Patriarch quoted statistics according to which there are almost 640 divorces per 1,215 marriages in Russia. In 2011, 1.814 million children were born and 1.23 million abortions performed (3.5-4 million according to unofficial sources). There are some 700,000 parentless children in Russia, most of whose parents are alive. Of these children, 10,000-11,000 were abandoned at maternity hospitals.
Teen suicides constitute 20% of all suicides. "We have never had such a horrible figure," the Patriarch said.
Out of the total number of suicides of minors, 62% are related to family conflicts, fear of violence from adults, conflicts with teachers or friends, and the indifference of near and dear ones.
Over 80% of teenagers use alcohol. Starting with the age of 13 33% of boys and 20% of girls use alcohol on a daily basis.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09