09 April 2012, 10:07
Pussy Riot performance at Christ the Savior Cathedral cannot be ignored - Patriarch
Moscow, April 9, Interfax - A blasphemy of a scale such as the performance staged by the Pussy Riot band cannot be left unnoticed, said Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
The liturgy held at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on Sunday was followed by a ceremony of bringing the ark and part of Christ's chasuble and a nail from the Jesus' Cross out to the middle of the church for worshipping.
"We know that not long ago it was in front of these relics of the world Christianity that an act of blasphemy and spiritual villainy was committed. The relics were not hurt by it but people were. It is not our duty to judge those who were hurt, but a blasphemy of such a scale cannot pass unnoticed and indifferent for those who committed it," the Patriarch said.
The public indignation over this stunt was enormous, he said.
"I know how the soul of our people has been suffering, with thousands and thousands of letters sent to the patriarch. And to assert the greatness of these relics, the relics that touched the Life-giving Body of the Savior Himself, the relics that were physically present during the offering of a bloody sacrifices for the sins of all - we are solemnly taking these relics out from the alter to middle of the Cathedral," the Primate said.
Both relics will stay here for a week, until the end of the first day of the Orthodox Easter, said Patriarch Kirill, urging people pray for the Church, for the preservation of the Orthodox Christianity, for the homeland, and for "the abandonment of a wave of blasphemies that dealt a painful blow to the pious hearts," he said.
"I believe that with the force of Christ and His sufferings God will save our homeland. All we have to do is kneel before these great relics and pray fervently, professing our faith and our belief in the force of God's disposition," the patriarch said.
It was reported that on February 21 several members of the Pussy Riot punk band, wearing masks covering their faces, staged an anti-Putin performance at the Christ the Savior Cathedral. After that, the authorities arrested Mariya Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova on March 4, and Yekaterina Samutsevich on March 15, claiming it was them hiding behind the masks. The Pussy Riot stunt prompted an enormous public outcry. On April 3 Amnesty International named the arrested Pussy Riot members the prisoners of conscience and called for their immediate and unconditional release.
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02