11 April 2012, 12:26
Mekhtiyev killing is ethnic killing - colleagues, friends
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - The friends and colleagues of prominent Muslim figure Metin Mekhtiyev are inclined to believe his killing was an ethnic one.
"I know from his colleagues that there were witnesses to this crime. There was a girl among the attackers, and that indicates a 'nationalist connection.' As a rule, they use girls to orchestrate a conflict. They say a 'black man' was bothering a girl and they were simply passing by and defended her," Andrey Getmanov, the head of the national public foundation Mirotvorets, a colleague and friend of Mekhtiyev's, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
The second indication of an ethnic killing is the manner in which Mekhtiyev was killed (his throat was cut), he said.
"If it was an ordinary assault by drug addicts of something like that, the attackers would have taken Metin's money, mobile phone, etc., they did not need to kill him, especially in such a cruel way. He was short and very petite - he only weighed some 40 kilos. You just had to push or hit him to get something from him," Getmatov said.
Getmanov said he believers Mekhtiyev's attackers "apparently meant to kill him."
Getmanov said Mekhtiyev has worked for the Islamic Cultural Center since 2000(he headed the international department of the center and then the center itself).
"The body of a man with stab wounds was found in Moscow's 2 Brestskaya Ulitsa on Tuesday. The man was identified as Metin Mekhtiyev, 33, a prominent Muslim figure," the source said.
The source said the man had stab wounds to his neck and his face was disfigured. There is information that Mekhtiyev was attacked as he was waiting for his wife and their 2 months old baby at his apartment building.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14