11 April 2012, 16:09
Pussy Riot activities are nasty, they don't deserve shaking hands with - Novodvorskaya
*** She compares them to Communist girls of the 1920-s
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - Renowned oppositionist Valeria Novodvorskaya sharply criticizes participants in the feminist punk group Pussy Riot and human rights advocates who consider them prisoners of conscience.
"Instead of freedom, we move to various "trash cans" as in the 20-s of the 20th century when fighters against religion spitted to heaven inviting God to come down and answer them or destroyed bells and made vegetables stores out of churches. Our Pussy Riot have something similar to Komsomol girls of 1920-s," Novodvorskaya writes in her article posted on the Grani.ru website.
According to her, participants in the action at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior were guided by the same ideals as Herostratus when "he set on fire the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus: by vanity."
"I would like to spend the rest of my life protecting those who stand for intelligent, good, eternal and not trivial, nasty, harmful, miserable or even historically criminal, which the present century offers me for human rights protection: Femens, the War group, Pussy Riot, picketers near the schools with sexual posters, Limonovs and Udaltsovs," she further writes.
Novodvorskaya confessed that "a clone of Ukrainian Femen, strange rock or punk group Pussy Riot that is offered for a subject of human rights protection makes her sick."
"Girls should be immediately released, the criminal case should be closed. Bad manners and disrespect to God-praying people, lack of tact and efforts to shock people deserve not more than 15 days of imprisonment for hooliganism, being more exact, minor hooliganism. It doesn't mean that they should be declared prisoners of conscience. They don't have conscience at all," the author writes.
She believes that after Pussy Riot are released they "contrary to Pushkin, should not be welcomed and given a sword. It's better not to say "hello" to them until they learn how to behave in a public place."
"Don't compare badly brought up "Pussies," half naked femens or oppositionists with phallus to those whom the candle circled in barbed wire - Amnesty International symbol - was once dedicated," Novodvorskaya summed up.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16