12 April 2012, 16:38
70% condemn Pussy Riot action, only third insist on imprisonment
Moscow, April 12, Interfax – 64% of Russians know about the Pussy Riot punk band's action in the Savior Cathedral in Moscow and 27% have watched the action online, the Romir Holding told Interfax.
The majority of respondents aware of the incident are young people aged 25-35, people with a higher education and people in cities with over one million residents.
70% have negative feelings regarding the action: 38% are indignant and 32% believe that a church is the wrong place for such an act. About 7% think the action has an explanation. Less than 1% support Pussy Riot.
In the opinion of 44%, the action had an organizer, 29% believe that was a personal initiative of the band members and 28% cannot answer the question.
34% insist that the band members be imprisoned. 22% suggest a fine, and 21% favor community service. 15% think that a suspended sentence would be appropriate.
57% believe that the court should not be lenient even if the girls repent. 35% have the opposite opinion.
Several Pussy Riot girls wearing masks staged an anti-Putin performance in the Savior Cathedral on February 21, 2012. The police opened a hooliganism case and arrested Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich. The authorities claimed that the three girls were wearing the masks. They will remain under arrest until April 24.
The Pussy Riot action triggered broad response. Most of the people condemn the action, but opinions regarding possible punishment vary.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16