13 April 2012, 12:41
Orthodox priest leaves for Libya to hold Easter service for Ukrainians
Kiev, April 13, Interfax - Archpriest Zakharia Kerstyuk, an official with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Department for External Church Relations, has left for Libya for the Easter celebrations, the Ukrainian Church reported on its official website.
With support from the UN, the Department for External Church Relations has received from the current Libyan administration permission for a visit to the country, which is now closed. The possibility of holding an Easter service is also being discussed.
The Ukrainian priest may visit some Libyan cities where Ukrainian citizens live and work in compact communities.
Some 3,000 Ukrainian doctors continue working in Libya despite military action. In addition, several Ukrainians, whose detention became known in September 2011, are currently on trial in Libya. These people are civilian specialists who had come to Libya to work on Libyan oil industry objects.
In March 2012, three Ukrainian citizens who were held prisoner in Libya were freed and returned to their homeland. The rest of the Ukrainians were kept in custody in Libya.
Since the Ukrainians' detention, the media have periodically reported that they were detained became they were really mercenaries fighting on the side of the Gaddafi forces. The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has denied this information.
A total of 25 people (citizens of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus) are on trial in Libya. The trial began in Tripoli on April 4. The people are charged with restoring military equipment used by the Gaddafi regime to "kill Libyan people."
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58