13 April 2012, 12:41
Orthodox priest leaves for Libya to hold Easter service for Ukrainians
Kiev, April 13, Interfax - Archpriest Zakharia Kerstyuk, an official with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Department for External Church Relations, has left for Libya for the Easter celebrations, the Ukrainian Church reported on its official website.
With support from the UN, the Department for External Church Relations has received from the current Libyan administration permission for a visit to the country, which is now closed. The possibility of holding an Easter service is also being discussed.
The Ukrainian priest may visit some Libyan cities where Ukrainian citizens live and work in compact communities.
Some 3,000 Ukrainian doctors continue working in Libya despite military action. In addition, several Ukrainians, whose detention became known in September 2011, are currently on trial in Libya. These people are civilian specialists who had come to Libya to work on Libyan oil industry objects.
In March 2012, three Ukrainian citizens who were held prisoner in Libya were freed and returned to their homeland. The rest of the Ukrainians were kept in custody in Libya.
Since the Ukrainians' detention, the media have periodically reported that they were detained became they were really mercenaries fighting on the side of the Gaddafi forces. The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has denied this information.
A total of 25 people (citizens of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus) are on trial in Libya. The trial began in Tripoli on April 4. The people are charged with restoring military equipment used by the Gaddafi regime to "kill Libyan people."
- Pardoning Pussy Riot is not reconsidering court ruling – Putin 19 December 2013, 15:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges safety of clergy 19 December 2013, 10:10
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Head of Russian Jewish organization slams EU "pressure" on Ukraine 18 December 2013, 10:03
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Kyrgyzstan arrests 8 members of Hizb ut-Tahrir 16 December 2013, 10:10
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51