19 April 2012, 13:03
Russia could get back to socialism - Russian Church
Moscow, April 19, Interfax - Russia could resume efforts to put the state system on foundations alternative to capitalism, said chief of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin.
"A lot of good things were done in the Soviet era. Russia's heroic feat in the Great Patriotic War, the nation's outstanding achievements in science and technology, and a social model based on the idea of social justice, which caused such a resonance in the world, rank among our indisputable accomplishments," Father Vsevolod told students of the State Governance University.
Society and the state, built then, collapsed logically, because they rested on an atheist ideology, "pursuant to which society cannot develop for long," he said.
"But the idea of a society where money, profit and private economic interests do not dominate, was very important as such. It is not accidental that capitalism was developing and adjusting itself all through the 20th century, inspired precisely by the system, built in the Soviet Union," he said.
The Soviet Union's breakup did not bury the search for an alternative to capitalism, in the form of a society that does not see private economic interests as the main locomotive of progress, and it will make itself felt repeatedly in the 21st century, Father Vsevolod said.
Economists, politicians and intellectuals have agreed in that capitalism is going through a crisis and is moving towards an historical deadlock, he said.
"I do not rule out that Russia, with its powerful drive for justice, is destined to give its own recipe of social set-up to the world, in which money, the private economic interest and egoistic sides of the personality will not be the main asset," the priest said.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09