19 April 2012, 19:59
Court extends custody for all three Pussy Riot detainees (updated)
Moscow, April 19, Interfax - Moscow's Tagansky Court has extended detention terms for all of the three Pussy Riot punk band detainees until 24 over a scandalous concert inside the Church of Christ the Savior.
The court upheld prosecutors' arguments and ordered Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich to remain in custody. Their lawyers will appeal the ruling in the Moscow City Court.
"I am not a danger to society. I do not intend to commit offenses or hide from the prosecution," Samutsevich said.
Mark Feygin, a lawyer for one of the Pussy Riot detainees, told Interfax that the decision would be appealed.
"Our complaint is ready. We will petition to the European Court of Human Rights," he said.
Investigator Artyom Ranchenkov accused the defense of engaging mass media in a campaign to distort society's opinion about the Pussy Riot action.
The court rejected Tolokonnikova's request to change the measure of restraint that she considers "excessive and an element of pressure". She told reporters: "I think that what we did was right."
On February 21 several members of the Pussy Riot punk band, wearing masks covering their faces, staged an anti-Putin performance at the Christ the Savior Cathedral. The Pussy Riot stunt prompted an enormous public outcry and infuriated the faithful.
On April 3 Amnesty International named the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience and called for their immediate and unconditional release.
The Russian Orthodox Church strongly condemned the girls and expects them to repent.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated) 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54