19 April 2012, 19:56
Jailing of Russian rock musicians "disproportionate" measure - Amnesty Intl officer
Moscow, April 19, Interfax - Amnesty International demands "unconditional release" of the three women rock musicians arrested for a scandalous performance inside Moscow's main church in which they sang a song praying for the ouster of Prime Minister and President-elect Vladimir Putin, the head of the international rights group's Russian office said on Thursday.
"Amnesty International has been calling and is continuing to call for the unconditional release of these three young women. We believe that they have a right to freedom of expression," Sergey Nikitin told Interfax.
The three women, who are in a detention center in Moscow, are members of the Pussy Riot punk rock band. Their performance inside the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on February 21, in which they had masks covering their faces, set off a powerful public outcry.
"The measures that the Russian authorities are using appear to us to be absolutely disproportionate and very severe. These three women must be released immediately and unconditionally as prisoners of conscience," Nikitin said.
Earlier, Amnesty International declared the three women to be prisoners of conscience.
On Thursday, Moscow's Tagansky Court extended the term of arrest for one of them, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, until June 24. Police have asked for the other two, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich, to have their detention terms to be extended as well.
Lyudmila Alexeyeva, leader of the Moscow Helsinki Group, also called on Thursday for the three women's release.
"It was the wrong idea to arrest them in the first place. They must naturally be released. What they've done doesn't mean they deserved to be jailed for such a long time," Alexeyeva told Interfax.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09