23 April 2012, 14:20
Attack on judge not connected to Pussy Riot case - lawyer
Moscow, April 23, Interfax - A lawyer for the Pussy Riot performers said he is surprised by the reports of an attack against a Tagansky Court judge who is trying his clients' case.
"I learned about the attack against Justice Yelena Ivanova perpetrated by a man with an axe from the mass media. What can I say? As a rule, people who do such things are mentally disturbed. A normal person would not attack judges with an axe," lawyer Nikolay Polozov told Interfax on Monday.
Polozov said he does not believe that this incident is connected to the Pussy Riot case in any way.
"It's a shame that no bailiffs who were present in the courtroom detained a man with an axe. I'm also interested in the issue of organization of judges' protection," he said.
"Thank God, no one has been hurt and I am confident that the appropriate authorities will get to the bottom of this situation in the near future," Polozov said.
Some media earlier reported that a man who had an axe had attacked Justice Yelena Ivanova, who is trying the Pussy Riot case. According to the media reports, the man entered the judge's office asking how he could make a request. Some time later, shouting and calls for help came from the office and bailiffs went there. The man, who appeared to be about 30, was escorted from the judge's office. He was handcuffed and was holding an axe in his hands. The bailiffs said the man was "brandishing an axe at the judge."
On February 21, several members of the Pussy Riot punk band, wearing masks covering their faces, staged an anti-Putin performance at Christ the Savior Cathedral. The Pussy Riot stunt prompted an enormous public outcry and infuriated the faithful.
On April 3, Amnesty International named the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience and called for their immediate and unconditional release.
The Russian Orthodox Church strongly condemned the girls and expects them to repent.
- Ban on adoption of Russian children by gays is Russia's sovereign choice - Russian Orthodox Church 19 June 2013, 13:49
- G8 concerned by the increasingly sectarian nature of the Syrian conflict 19 June 2013, 10:29
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00