24 April 2012, 16:57
Gay pride to be held in Moscow again on May 27
Moscow, April 24, Interfax - Gays plan to hold a pride in Moscow late in May, founder of Moscow gay prides movement Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax.
"Notifications addressed to Moscow mayor Sergey Sobyanin will be submitted in mid-May. The main theme of the action will be legislative bans of gay propaganda in Russia," Alexeyev said.
According to him, the action is timed for the 19th anniversary of abolishing criminal prosecution for homosexual relations in Russia.
"The city authorities will have another chance to fulfill the decision of the European Court of Human Rights, which accepted that bans on gay prides in Moscow violate provisions of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. In case of the next ban, this question will surely be considered at a session of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe in early June," the activist said.
He stressed that participants in the action won't insist on any concrete platform for the meeting and are ready to discuss different variants with authorities.
"However, if authorities don't suggest anything, then we will hold our events without their approval and turn for the protection to the judicial bodies of the European Court of Human Rights," Alexeyev said.
He reminded that Moscow authorities had banned gay prides for six years.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54