25 April 2012, 11:25
Moscow Patriarchate stands up for Greek hierarch not allowed to northern Cyprus on Easter
Moscow, April 25, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has come up with a statement as religious rights of Orthodox population in the occupied territory of Cyprus were violated again.
The Moscow Patriarchate’s Department has been informed that on Easter, 15 April 2012, a hierarch of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus, Bishop Christoforos of Karpasia was not allowed to celebrate Easter services for members of his congregation living in the enclave on the Carpassia peninsula in the occupied territory of Cyprus.
On 12 March 2012, the occupation authorities placed his name on a “stop-list”, meaning that he is banned from crossing the demarcation line between Northern Cyprus and the other part of the island.
"Since November 2008, Bishop Christoforos has been consistently rejected visits to his congregation and celebration of the divine services. The persistent discrimination of Christians living in the Karpasia enclave has led to the dwindling of their number from 20,000 in 1974 to 447 today. The violation of religious freedom in the region was reaffirmed in the documents of the European and other international organizations," the statement reads.
"The Russian Orthodox Church is deeply concerned about another violation of the rights of the Orthodox population of Cyprus. It is obvious that such actions not only run contrary to the norms of international law, but also create additional difficulties in the process of the settlement of the Cyprus problem," the document reads.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09